The other day I stumbled upon something quite rare — a banana bread recipe I haven’t tried. Or maybe I have. Who knows? With so many banana bread recipes it’s all a blur, but I don’t think I would have forgotten this one and am adding it to my ever growing list of number one, best-ever, ultimate, favorite banana bread recipes.
If you’re wondering what the others are, the list includes Best Ever, Sour Cream and High Rising.Those are the current favorites, but I like this one a little better for several reasons. Plus it worked really well in my new 3 piece mini loaf pan set (hence the name Small Loaf Pan Banana Bread).
The recipe is originally from Bon Appetit, but I used sour cream instead of mascarpone, added a little vanilla, and adjusted the baking time to work with the small loaf pans. The loaves have a dark brown color, are not overly nor under sweet (in my opinion) and have a moist but not mushy texture. The small loaves also have nicely domed tops! I was expecting more of a brick shape after reading the reviews on BA, so the domed tops were a pleasant surprise.
I’m glad I tried this one even though I’m embarrassed by how many different banana breads I have on this blog. Next time I make it I’ll add nuts and post another photo.
Small Loaf Pan Banana Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 200 grams
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch of salt or 3/4 if using Diamond or other fine kosher
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter very much softened but not melted
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar (200 grams)
- 1/3 cup sour cream or Mascarpone cheese
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten with a fork in a separate bowl
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large very ripe bananas mashed (12 oz)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease 3 small (3x5 inch) loaf pans and line with strips of parchment if desired.
- Whisk together flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, using a big spoon or a heavy duty scraper, stir the butter, sugar and sour cream until well blended. Stir in the beaten egg and the vanilla.
- Add the mashed bananas and stir until blended, then add the flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in nuts (if using).
- Divide the batter among the loaf pans and set on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 42-45 minutes or until the internal temperature of the bread (you can poke a meat thermometer in it) is around 200 or slightly over.
- Makes 3 loaves and each loaf serves about 4 people.