If you made the thin biscotti I posted recently and are wondering what to do with 4 egg yolks, here’s an ice cream recipe that will solve the problem. This is for a small batch – 1 pint. However, the ice cream’s rich so that a pint goes a long way. If you disagree, you can always double the recipe!
- 1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup (or use another tablespoon sugar)
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Mexican vanilla (I used Totonac's)
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the sugar, corn syrup and egg yolks, then whisk in the milk and salt. Put the pot over medium low heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture thickens to the consistency of cream gravy. Remove from heat and pour into a shallow glass bowl. Stir in the cold heavy cream until mixed, then stir in the Mexican vanilla. Chill the mixture for several hours or until it is very cold, then put in an ice cream maker and freeze as per manufacturer directions.
- Freeze until firm. Before serving, let the ice cream soften somewhat.