If you made the thin biscotti I posted recently and are wondering what to do with 4 egg yolks, here’s an easy recipe that will solve the problem — Mexican Vanilla Ice Cream!
This is for a small batch or 1 pint. However, the ice cream’s so rich that a pint goes a long way. If you disagree, you can always double the recipe!
Small Batch Mexican Vanilla Ice Cream
- 1/2 cup minus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup or use another tablespoon sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon Mexican vanilla I used Totonac’s
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the sugar, corn syrup and egg yolks, then whisk in the milk and salt.
- Put the pot over medium low heat and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until mixture thickens to the consistency of cream gravy. Remove from heat and pour into a shallow glass bowl. Stir in the cold heavy cream until mixed, then stir in the Mexican vanilla.
- Pour into a shallow bowl and chill the mixture for several hours or until it is very cold, then put in an ice cream maker and freeze as per manufacturer directions.
- Freeze until firm. Before serving, let the ice cream soften somewhat.