Ice Cream Pie is the title of this post, but what it really should be about is the fudge sauce. This one is THE BEST. It's true fudge sauce, which pulls when you stir it and has the flavor you'll recognize if you've ever had a good hot fudge sundae. Originally from Gourmet Magazine, it reminds me of the kind they serve at restaurants.
So while it's perfect for this ice cream pie, you'll want to keep the recipe hand for the sauce.
Ice Cream Pie Updates
I recently increased the amount of Oreo crumb mixture so you'll have more to work with. Also, the recipe for the fudge topping makes double what you need and the directions say to use half of it in the pie. If you don't foresee any future use for remaining fudge sauce, just halve the sauce recipe.
Ice Cream Pie with Best Fudge Sauce
- 25 Oreos
- 5 tablespoons butter melted
- 4-5 cups ice cream softened (your favorite flavor)
Fudge Sauce (adapted from Gourmet Magazine)
- ¼ cup Dutch Process cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- 6 oz bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter cut up
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Whipped Cream Topping
- 1 cup whipping cream sweetened with 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar and whipped or 3 cups Cool Whip.
- Prepare crust. Process the Oreos in to crumbs using a food processor, or put them in a heavy duty zipper bag and crush with a rolling pin. Stir together crumbs and butter, then press mixture into a greased 9 inch deep dish glass pie dish. Cover and place in freezer for about a half hour or until frozen.
- Spoon softened ice cream into pie dish and spread evenly over crust. Cover with foil (preferably non-stick) and freeze for another few hours or until ice cream is firm. Prepare sauce.
- In a quart saucepan, stir together cocoa powder, brown sugar, syrup, cream, salt and half of the chocolate. Set the pan over medium heat and cook, stirring constantly, until chocolate melts and mixture begins to boil (bubbles will appear around side). Allow mixture to come to a low boil and let simmer for about 3 minutes, stirring often. .
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, remaining chocolate and vanilla. Let cool completely (takes a few hours). When fudge sauce is cool, spread a little over half of it (save the rest) evenly over ice cream in pie plate
- Spread the whipped cream or Cool Whip over the fudge sauce. Return the entire pie to the freezer for 4 hours or overnight. Cover with non-stick foil or plastic wrap to avoid freezer burn.