This Brown Sugar Bourbon Pound Cake had been on my “Make Soon!” list for the past 5 years. I’m not sure why it took me so long, but I finally got around to trying it today. Unfortunately, I haven’t actually tasted it….unless you count the tiny pieces that fell off the bottom (okay, they didn’t really fall) when I inverted it. I gave this cake to my friends next door who have promised to report back and maybe bring me a piece.
I weighed ingredients as I went and again, attempted adding metric.
It’s 5:00 Somewhere — Brown Sugar Bourbon Pound Cake
- 3 cups all purpose flour or White Lily 380 grams
- 3/4 teaspoon salt 7.5 ml
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 2.5 ml
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 2.5 ml
- 3/4 cup milk 180 ml
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 10 ml
- 4 tablespoons bourbon 60 ml
- 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar packed (298 grams)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar 99 grams
- 2 sticks cup butter softened (230 grams)
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar 66 grams
- 2 tablespoons orange juice 30 ml
- 2 tablespoons Bourbon whiskey 30 ml
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 C). Spray a 12 cup capacity Bundt pan (or fluted tube pan) with flour-added cooking spray such as Baker's Joy.
- In one bowl, thoroughly stir together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup, combine milk, vanilla and Bourbon.
- In a mixing bowl, using high speed of an electric mixer, beat butter and both sugars until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating 30 seconds after each eggs.
- With a mixing spoon or lowest speed of mixer, add flour mixture and milk mixture alternately, beginning and ending with flour. When fully mixed, pour into pan.
- Place on center rack and bake for 60 to 80 minutes. The original recipe recipe said 80 minutes, but I used a dark pan and my cake was done in 60 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan for about 10 minutes, the carefully invert. Mix all glaze ingredients together. Using a pastry brush, brush all over cake.