I’m a big Penzey’s fan and love getting their catalog, but their recipe for No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars just wasn’t for me. Luckily, I made a small batch and didn’t waste much because unfortunately, I had to throw them out.
If you want to try the recipe anyway, below are the ingredients they used. I used only 2 cups of powdered sugar and found the bars to be too sweet even with that. Maybe they used natural peanut butter? They must have. I used Peter Pan.
I liked the shape of the bars, so maybe next time I’ll use this recipe and cut it into bars instead of making balls.
No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 teaspon cinnamon
- 2 sticks 8 oz butter, use regular salted type or add 3/4 tsp. salt to recipe
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter creamy or chunky
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 12- oz. bag chocolate chips or 12 oz good quality milk chocolate
- Line a 9×13 inch pan with foil.
- Mix the crumbs with the cinnamon. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan or in a microwave-safe bowl. Combine melted butter, peanut butter and vanilla and stir until fully blended, then stir in the graham cracker crumbs.
- Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time and taste test at 2 cups. You may not want to use the full 3 1/2 cups, but you’ll need to use enough to make a stiff dough. Press mixture into the pan.
- Melt the chocolate chips in microwave using 50% power and stirring every 30 seconds or in the top of a double boiler set over barely simmering water. Pour melted chocolate over peanut butter mixture. Chill for one hour. Do not chill too long or the chocolate will get too hard to cut.
- When the chocolate is set but not completely hard, lift from the pan and cut into small squares.