My idea of Banana Split Bars is our family’s “Banana Split Dessert”, This recipe is different. It’s a cream cheese frosting topped cakey banana bar recipe that includes pineapples, cherries and nuts for the banana split bars theme. As far as cakey bar cookies go, these are delicious.
Banana Split Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 9 oz/250 grams
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 extra-ripe medium bananas pureed or mashed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 8 oz can crushed pineapple drained
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherries drained, halved, patted dry
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped walnuts optional
- 4 tablespoons butter softened
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups powdered sugar more if desired
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1-2 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch metal pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- Beat pureed bananas, sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla together in a large mixing boil. Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in pineapple, cherries and walnuts. Pour batter into pan and spread to edges.
- Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool completely, and then frost with icing. Decorate with extra cherries and nuts if desired.
- Icing: Combine butter and cream cheese and beat until fluffy. Add sugar, stir well and then beat until light. It’s best to use an electric mixer for this. Beat in vanilla. Add 1-2 tablespoons of milk and beat until light and fluffy. Ice bars.