Today’s “Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Brownies” recipe came from Louise, who emailed me a photo and note saying how great it was. This happened about a month ago, and I’m kicking myself for not making these sooner. They’re dense, moist, packed with peanut butter flavor, and not overly rich or sweet even though they’re topped with a chocolate ganache. As a bonus, they’re easy. I made a half batch today using things from around the kitchen and some Nestle chocolate chunks. The results were fabulous.
The recipe below is for a 13×9 inch pan, but you can also halve it and make it in an 8 inch pan, which is what I did. For the 8 inch version, I baked it at 350 for about 30 minutes. The brownies were great, but the edges were quite a bit more cooked than the center, so next time I halve it I’ll cook at a lower, slower heat like 325. Then again, next time I’ll probably just make a full batch. Louise says her full batch brownies were best when baked for only 35 minutes. She also used peanut butter chips in place of chocolate and liked it that way. Me, I liked the chocolate chunks.
Peanut Butter Chocolate Chunk Brownies with Chocolate Ganache
- 8 oz unsalted butter, cut up (230 grams)
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar (350 grams)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup peanut butter weight of 9 oz
- 2 large large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 9 ounces – fluffed up before measuring, don’t scoop or pack**
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks
- 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chunks 9 oz
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter softened
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13x9 inch metal pan with foil and spray bottom with cooking spray or rub with butter.
- Cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer. When light and fluffy, add peanut butter and beat until incorporated. Beat in eggs, the egg yolk, salt and vanilla. By hand, stir in the flour and chocolate chips. Spread batter in pan, patting it down flat, and bake on center rack for 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Cool completely.
- Make the ganache. Put the chocolate chips in a heat-proof bowl. In a saucepan or in a microwave-safe measuring cup, heat the cream until starts to boil. Pour the cream over the chips and let stand for a minute. Stir well to melt chips; stir in the butter. Spread on cooled brownies and let set.
- Makes 36 bars