Bake Sale Betty's Pecan Pie comes courtesy of C&H sugar who sent an email with an offer I couldn’t refuse – “Try a recipe from our website and we’ll send a gift card to cover ingredients.” I was so happy I went straight to C&H Recipe Collection and picked the first recipe that sounded good -- Bake Sale Betty’s Pecan Pie. How could a buy by "Bake Sale Betty" be anything less than spectacular?
I bought the ingredients last night and made the pie today. It was good, maybe great as far as flavors go. It had a lot of depth from the combination of dark corn syrup, brown sugar and vanilla, and since the recipe has less sugar than others, it wasn't overly sweet.
Bake Sale Betty's Pecan Pie Tips
Thanks C&H and Bake Sale Betty for the recipe. Now I hope you won't mind that I changed it some.
1. First off, the pecans needed toasting. Toast them for about 8 minutes at 400 before proceeding with the recipe.
2. Whoops! Betty forgot to say how much vanilla to use. I used a full teaspoon. I like Betty more now that I know she's not perfect.
3. Betty’s oven must be really slow because a bake time of 425 for 20 minutes plus 350 for another hour is ridiculous. I baked the pie at 425 for 10 minutes and at 325 for 35. It was shaky when I took it out of the oven and set up perfectly when cool.
More Pecan Pie Recipes
Over the years this has become one of my favorite pecan pie recipes. However, I do have other favorites! Mom's Pecan Pie is a good one, and if you like a little bourbon with your pecan pie the Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie is great! For a pecan pie that's slightly less sweet, I recommend Less Sweet Pecan Pie which includes some sour cream to offset the sugar.
Bake Sale Betty's Pecan Pie
- 1 pie shell 9-inch, unbaked
- 3 eggs lightly whisked
- 1 cup corn syrup dark
- ½ cup C&H Pure Cane Golden Brown or Dark Brown Sugar firmly packed
- 2 oz. butter melted
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- ⅓ cup pecan halves toasted
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla. Set aside.
- Sprinkle chopped pecans in pie shell and then add pecan halves. Pour pie filling over nuts.
- Bake pie at 425°F for 20 minutes. Lower oven temperature to 350°F and bake until pie filling is firm, approximately one hour. Note: I baked this pie for 10 minutes at 425 then reduced the heat to 325 and baked for 35 minutes. the pie was slightly shakey in the center and set up perfectly.