I didn’t have time to bake from scratch this morning, so I took advantage of some boxed mix and made these brownie mix Rocky Road Brownies.
Brownie Mix Rocky Road vs. Scratch
I wasn’t expecting them to be that great, but they were delicious. Or maybe I was just craving that instant brownie mix flavor of my youth? If you have some brownie mix on hand, this a good recipe. If you have a little more time, Martha Stewart has a similar version from scratch.
Update: It’s been a while since I posted this. Since then I’ve made (at least) dozens of different scratch brownies, but I still like these doctored brownie mix brownies. The not-too-rich brownie mix base is the perfect foil for the gooey topping. If you like the idea of Rocky Road Brownies but aren’t convinced this is the recipe for you, here’s another good recipe which uses peanut butter — Peanut Butter Rocky Road Brownies
Brownie Mix Rocky Road Brownies
- 1 box of your favorite brownie mix
- Amount of eggs oil and water as recommended on box
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 2/3 cup toasted and coarsely chopped walnuts or other nuts
- 1 1/3 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips
- Prepare and bake the brownie mix as directed on the package.
- While brownies bake, mix together the marshmallows, nuts and a little less than a cup of the chocolate chips (you’ll be saving some for the end).
- About 5 minutes before the brownies are supposed to be done, sprinkle marshmallow mixture over the top. Return to oven and bake for 5 minutes or until marshmallows puff up.
- Remove from oven. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over top of hot brownies and if you’d like, Sprinkle on some more walnuts so that everything appears balanced.
- Let cool at room temperature for about an hour. Transfer to the refrigerator for another hour to set the chips.
- Lift the brownies from the pan and cut into squares.
My kids happened to be looking at my computer when I went to this dessert. They are now insisting I make it. I DO have all the ingredients and they are elated! Thanks!
yum and wow looking! must try them this holiday season!
shelly (cookies and cups)
They look great! Nothing wrong with boxed brownies!
These look delicious! My husband’s favorite ice cream is Rocky Road, so we’ll have to try these for sure!
Jessica @ How Sweet It Is
These look sinful – love the idea.
I must try these…I have a box of mix languishing in the pantry and my sweetheart-husband gave me one of those Perfect Brownie pan sets. Sounds like a hint to me LOL! 😉
I still haven’t tried that recipe, but everyone who has says it’s great. Next time I have brownie mix on hand, I’ll try the Symphony Brownies.
These look awesome, Anna. I think brownie mixes are one of the better convenience items available. I had to work on Thanksgiving night, and the nurses brought in a huge variety of desserts. My favorite one was Symphony Brownies. They were made with a brownie mix. Half the batter goes into the pan, which is then covered by whole Symphony bars. The candy bars are covered over with the rest of the batter. That crunch in the middle of the gooey brownies was just right! I googled them, and it seems that Paula Dean made them for one of her shows.