If you like the banana chocolate combo, here’s another muffin recipe for you. I made half a batch of these Chocolate Banana Muffins this afternoon and Fuzz’s friends gave them a thumbs up. You can make 6 (as written) or halve the recipe and make 3.
Texas Size Muffins
The recipe calls for a jumbo size muffin pan (or Texas size!). If you want to make regular size muffins, use regular muffin tins and check at 18 minutes. Keep in mind you will probably get about 12 if you make them regular size. These were jumbo. Also, I think white whole wheat flour would work very well here.
Natural or Dutch Cocoa Powder
I didn’t specify whether to use natural or Dutch process cocoa powder because either kind will work.
Jumbo Chocolate Banana Muffins
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour 220 grams
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 small ish bananas (3.5 to 4 oz each)
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and slightly cooled
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line 6 jumbo muffin cups with paper liners
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt together in a bowl. When thoroughly mixed, add the brown sugar and stir well, breaking up any lumps in the sugar.
- In a second bowl, mash the bananas, Stir in the eggs, milk and vanilla. Pour the egg mixture into the dry mixture and stir a few strokes, then pour the melted butter in over the egg mixture. Stir until ingredients are well mixed, being careful not to over-beat. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter equally among muffin cups and bake for 23-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Makes 6