Holly Jolly Peanut Butter Cookies is a recipe from a newspaper insert somebody left on the table at Starbucks. It's an old one that originally called for Parkay margarine.
Holly Jolly Peanut Butter Cookies Notes
At one point I tried to find the recipe on-line and found it on an M&Ms Facebook pages Bright Ideas. Last time I checked the Facebook page was still there, so if you are looking for M&Ms ideas you're in luck! In the meantime, here are the changes I made to this recipe.
-- Used unsalted butter instead of a Parkay stick
-- Increased the salt by ¼ teaspoon to make-up for the missing Parkay stick
-- Added 1 cup Hershey Milk Chocolate Chips and 1 cup Reese’s Peanut Butter Chips
-- Omitted M&Ms from inside the cookie and just stuck them on the outside of the hot cookies. Sticking them on at the end helps keep them from cracking in the oven (like the one on the right in the photo above which I cooked), and they do adhere if you stick them on while the cookies are hot.
Holly Jolly Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (130 grams)
- ⅔ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt use ¼ if using salted butter or spread
- 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature (114 grams)
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar (200 grams)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (65 grams)
- 1 large egg
- 1 -¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips plus another cup of Reese's chips -- optional
- ⅓ cup M&Ms, in holiday colors or peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine flour, oats, baking powder and salt in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream the peanut butter, butter, and both sugars in large mixing bowl with electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. Using lowest speed of mixer or by hand, stir in the flour mixture.
- Stir in chocolate chips and peanut butter chips (if using). Form mixture into 1-inch balls. Place 3 inches apart on nonstick baking sheets and flatten with tines of fork in criss-cross pattern. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned and centers are still soft.
- As soon as you pull the cookies from the oven, scatter holiday M&Ms on top. Cool 1 minute on baking sheet; transfer to wire racks. Cool completely. Makes about 36 cookies depending on what your idea of a 1 inch ball is.