Oatmeal Fudge Brownies are a lot like Revel Bars or the old Fudge Jumble Bars that Pillsbury used to sell. However, instead of a fudge filling the filling is fudgy brownies. So really these are a brownie and oatmeal cookie combo.
Oatmeal Fudge Brownies with Brownie Mix
The base is oatmeal cookie, the middle is a layer of fudgy brownie, and the topping is more oatmeal mixture. You can make the bars entirely from scratch, or you can do what I did for this batch and make the middle with brownie mix. As much as I appreciate scratch brownies, I like the easiness (and flavor) of boxed brownies too. In this case, the brownie layer is very fudgy and dense like the brand of brownies I used. Make sure you don’t over-bake.
Oatmeal Fudge Brownies
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt only if using unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, melted 6 oz
- 19 oz box brownie mix Pillsbury Fudgy Style Family Style
- 1/2 cup canola oil or any vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 inch metal pan with non-stick foil or parchment. If you'd rather, you can just grease it or spray it.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together oats, flour, brown sugar, salt (if using) and baking soda; stir in butter and mix until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of the oatmeal mixture and put it in the refrigerator to chill.
- Press remaining oatmeal mixture in pan.
- Bake 10 minutes; cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Prepare brownie batter. In a mixing bowl (I used the same one from the oatmeal), mix the brownie mix, oil, water and eggs and beat 50 strokes with a wooden spoon. Spread dough over baked layer. Crumble up chilled, reserved oatmeal mixture and sprinkle it over the top. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top appears set. Cool completely. Chill if desired (It will give you a cleaner cut). Lift from pan, set on a cutting board and cut into 32 squares