The people on our street are rather sociable, and tonight they have organized an Easter Egg Hunt. My contribution is 16 filled plastic eggs and a batch of Oatmeal Fudge Brownies. This recipe is a lot like Revel Bars or the old Fudge Jumble Bars that Pillsbury used to sell, but instead of a fudge filling the filling is fudgy brownies. It has a base of oatmeal cookie, a layer of fudgy brownie and a final topping of more crumbled oatmeal mixture. It can be made entirely from scratch, or you can do what I did and try making the middle with brownie mix. As much as I appreciate scratch brownies, I did enjoy the ease of the boxed mix version and knowing the middle would turn out just as planned. In this case, the brownie layer is very fudgy and dense like the brand of brownies I used. Make sure you don’t over-bake.
Oatmeal Fudge Brownies
- 2 1/2 cups oats
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoons salt only if using unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 sticks 6 oz unsalted butter, melted
- 19 oz box brownie mix Pillsbury Fudgy Style Family Style
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch metal pan with non-stick foil.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together oats, flour, brown sugar, salt (if using) and baking soda; stir in butter and mix until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of the oatmeal mixture and put it in the refrigerator to chill.
- Press remaining oatmeal mixture in pan.
- Bake 10 minutes; cool for at least 5 minutes.
- Prepare brownie batter. In a mixing bowl (I used the same one from the oatmeal), mix the brownie mix, oil, water and eggs and beat 50 strokes with a wooden spoon. Spread dough over baked layer. Crumble up chilled, reserved oatmeal mixture and sprinkle it over the top. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top appears set. Cool completely. Chill if desired (It will give you a cleaner cut). Lift from pan, set on a cutting board and cut into 32 squares