This Cranberry Chocolate Fudge Cake may be the best little chocolate cake in the world; or at least under certain conditions. Condition one being there's half a can of cranberry sauce you need to use and condition two, you want chocolate cake, but hardly feel like baking. This recipe is all that and more.
Cranberry Chocolate Fudge Cake Recipe
I found this at the most obvious source, the Ocean Spray recipe database. It's an 8-inch round not-quite-flourless chocolate cake which you make with a bowl and a spoon -- no mixer required. The texture is kind of dense but light and the cranberries soften it up and add a little flavor. The only changes I made to Ocean Spray's recipe were to use unsalted butter and to add ¼ teaspoon of salt. Also, I swapped out the chocolate chips for bittersweet chocolate. I may make it again with a little chipotle powder.
Ocean Spray Outrageous Cranberry Fudge Cake
- ⅔ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup butter or margarine
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup Ocean Spray® Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Ocean Spray® Jellied Cranberry Sauce
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line an 8-inch round cake pan with foil. Spray with cooking spray or grease and flour.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat ⅔ cup chocolate chips, butter and unsweetened chocolate on High for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Microwave for 30 more seconds if necessary to melt chocolate.
- Add cranberry sauce and sugar; mix well. Add eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder mix well. Pour batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until center is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 30 minutes. Refrigerate 1 hour or until cold.
- Make glaze:
- Microwave cream and chocolate chips together in medium microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute on High. Stir until smooth. Microwave for 30 more seconds if necessary to melt chocolate. Add cranberry sauce; mix well.
- Turn cake out onto serving plate; remove foil. Spread glaze over top allowing some to drip down sides of cake. Chill 1 hour or until glaze is firm. Can be made a day ahead of time. Store at room temperature.
- Makes 10 servings.