This Cranberry Chocolate Fudge Cake may be the best little chocolate cake in the world; or at least under certain conditions. Condition one being there’s half a can of cranberry sauce you need to use and condition two, you want chocolate cake, but hardly feel like baking. This recipe is all that and more.
I found this at the most obvious source, the Ocean Spray recipe database. It’s an 8-inch round not-quite-flourless chocolate cake which you make with a bowl and a spoon — no mixer required. The texture is kind of dense but light and the cranberries soften it up and add a little flavor. The only changes I made to Ocean Spray’s recipe were to use unsalted butter and add 1/4 teaspoon of salt, plus I swapped out the chocolate chips for bittersweet chocolate. I may make it again with a little chipotle powder.
Ocean Spray Outrageous Cranberry Fudge Cake
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 cup Ocean Spray® Whole Berry Cranberry Sauce
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Ocean Spray® Jellied Cranberry Sauce
- Preheat oven to 325ºF. Line an 8-inch round cake pan with foil. Spray with cooking spray or grease and flour.
- In a microwave safe bowl, heat 2/3 cup chocolate chips, butter and unsweetened chocolate on High for 1 minute. Stir until smooth. Microwave for 30 more seconds if necessary to melt chocolate.
- Add cranberry sauce and sugar; mix well. Add eggs, vanilla, flour and baking powder mix well. Pour batter in prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until center is set and a toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pan 30 minutes. Refrigerate 1 hour or until cold.
- Make glaze:
- Microwave cream and chocolate chips together in medium microwave-safe bowl for 1 minute on High. Stir until smooth. Microwave for 30 more seconds if necessary to melt chocolate. Add cranberry sauce; mix well.
- Turn cake out onto serving plate; remove foil. Spread glaze over top allowing some to drip down sides of cake. Chill 1 hour or until glaze is firm. Can be made a day ahead of time. Store at room temperature.
- Makes 10 servings.