I’ll post a dessert later, but I couldn’t resist sharing this Penne with Roasted Asparagus recipe. It’s healthy, perfect for spring, and looks quite pretty on the plate, though I do apologize for this picture. I’m not used to taking photos of food as a I cook it (with baking it’s more leisurely paced, with cooking I have to serve it hot), so this photo is just something I shot with my phone.
Anyhow, last night was my first time making this, but it’s open to all kinds of improvisation and I suppose next time I’ll be adding wine, swapping out vegetables and using different herbs. Or maybe not. This was really good as written.
Penne with Roasted Asparagus
An easy pasta dish made with fresh asparagus and pasta.
- 1 pound thin asparagus
- 4 teaspoons of good extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 7 ounces of penne pasta
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Ground pepper to taste
- Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus and cut each on the diagonal into 3 smaller pieces. Toss asparagus with 2 teaspoons of the oil, salt and pepper.
- Lay aparagus on a tray and bake at 400 for 8 to 10 minutes or just until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook penne in a large pot of salted boiling water. Drain.
- In a large (12 inch works well) sauté pan, bring the chicken broth and lemon juice to a simmer.
- Add the drained pasta and simmer on low for about 5 minutes or until broth is absorbed.
- Toss in the remaining olive oil, roasted asparagus, Parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper.
Adapted from California Treasures by the Junior League of Fresno
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
You are so welcome! Your recipes or the ones you find and tweak, both dessert and entrees, are off the charts! Please keep sharing entrees too!! So many family and friends have tried the penne and asparagus and LOVED it!
Thanks for the pin, Kathie!
wonderful recipe! I just pinned this to pinterest and within 3 hours 18 people (that I don’t know) pinned it to their boards…smart people!
That’s exactly the type of dinner I make about once a week.
With asparagus I usually add goat cheese – really good!
Mmm, looks good. Love asparagus!
Boy, does this look good!!! I’ll buy some asperagus when I am at the market and make next week
That’s a pretty good phone photo. Mine never turn out that well.
Great meatless meal for Fridays during Lent!
Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray
Ooh, I love this as a simple and savory weeknight dinner. Thanks!