Vegan Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies are muffin shaped egg and dairy free chocolate chip cookies stuffed with a whole Oreo. The recipe was inspired by a friend who made a non-vegan version she called Inception Cookies (dream within dream/cookie within a cookie, get it?). I changed the name back to the more whimsical and fun “Vegan Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies”. Just kidding. Mainly, I wanted to be able to find it when I was looking for cookies stuffed with Oreos recipes.
Vegan Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookie Tips
This vegan cookie dough worked very well, though I do recommend chilling it a bit so that it’s easier to handle. I used oats, but accidentally left them out of one of the cookies and it baked up just fine. So if you’re out of oats, no problem. The Earth Balance butter sticks were okay, but they do have a very distinct flavor which comes across in the cookies. If you don’t like the flavor of the Earth Balance, use another brand of margarine or just make the cookies non-vegan. Update: I really like the Earth Balance Soy Free these days for flavor, so check it out if you haven’t tried the soy free type.
For non-vegan cookies, use 1 egg in place of the applesauce and regular butter in place of the Earth Balance or make the second recipe, which makes 20 cookies. If you’re in a hurry, just use refrigerated cookie dough, which is what the cookie in the photo directly above is made with (it’s the one my friend made).
Inception Cookies (Vegan and Non-Vegan)
- 56 grams 1/4 cup drained applesauce (from 114 grams or ½ cup)
- 1 stick 114 grams Earth Balance stick
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup 126 grams/4.5 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 scant teaspoon salt
- 40 grams oats quick cooking or old fashioned
- 1/2 cup vegan approved chocolate chips
- 6 Oreo Cookies
- Drain the applesauce if you haven’t already. To do that, just spread ½ cup on a stack of paper towels and let the towels soak up the extra moisture. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the Earth Balance until creamy. Beat in the sugar, brown sugar and vanilla, then beat in the applesauce.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt together in a separate bowl, then add to the batter and stir until mixed. Stir in the oats and chocolate chips. Chill the dough until it’s easy enough to handle, then divide it into 6 parts and wrap each part around an Oreo.
- Spray 6 paper muffin cups with cooking spray or use the foil type and skip the spray. Put the dough wrapped cookies in cups, set the cups in a muffin tin and bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes or until cookies appear set and the edges are nicely browned. Let cool completely. I actually like cooling and chilling briefly before removing the muffin paper.
Oreo Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
230 grams unsalted butter (2 sticks)
220 grams brown sugar (1 cup, packed)
100 grams granulated sugar (½ cup)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
380 grams all-purpose flour (3 cups, measure with a light hand or weigh)
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups extra dark chocolate chips or miniature semisweet chocolate chips
In a mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Beat in the sugar, brown sugar and vanilla, then beat in the eggs and vanilla, beating only until blended.
Mix the flour, baking soda and salt together in a separate bowl, then add to the batter and stir until mixed. Stir in the chocolate chips. Chill the dough until it’s easy enough to handle.
Spray 20 paper muffin cups with cooking spray or use the foil type and skip the spray. Put the dough wrapped cookies in cups, set the cups in a muffin tin and bake at 350 for 17-20 minutes or until cookies appear set and the edges are nicely browned. Let cool completely. Remove muffin papers.
Perfect for bake sales.