Still in crazy cupcake mode, I’ve been baking cupcakes, putting them in little containers from Plastic Container City, and passing them out to friends. The latest victims (Fuzz’s teachers) received a batch of these spice cupcakes.
Spice Cupcakes similar to the vanilla cupcakes from a few days ago, but with a spicy flavor and darker color. I frosted them with a cream cheese frosting, and at the last minute added a little caramel ice cream syrup just for garnish. They syrup was an afterthought, but I would definitely go out of my way to buy it and use it again because it added a nice flavor.
Spice Cupcakes with Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk divided use
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour (260 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
Whipped Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup heavy cream cold
- 8 oz cream cheese room temperature
- 2 oz unsalted or salted butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice fresh
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together eggs, 1/3 cup of buttermilk and vanilla.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, mix together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves. Mix well, then stir in both sugars. Add the softened butter and mix on low speed until it’s mashed into the dry mixture, then add the remaining 2/3 of buttermilk and beat until smooth.
- With mixer on medium, add the egg mixture in three parts, being careful not to beat in a lot of extra air and scraping the side of the bowl after every addition.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake liners. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until tops are brown.
- Frosting: In a mixing bowl, beat the whipping cream until stiff peaks form and set aside. In a second bowl, beat the cream cheese, butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and lemon juice until creamy. Stir the whipped cream into the cream cheese mixture. Frost the cupcakes.