If you need a break from rich holiday foods but are still craving something sweet, this recipe should do the trick. It’s a chewy, bar cookie made with All-Bran cereal, whole wheat and white flour, chocolate chips and nuts.
I found it on the All-Bran website while searching for sweet & healthy snacks. The recipe was almost perfect to begin with, but I tripled the chocolate chips and added pecans, anyway. That turned out to be a good call, because without the extra goodies, the bars might have tasted a little too healthy. But don’t let that description scare you, because the cookies are still delicious and very good with a cup of tea or coffee.
All-Bran Chocolate Chip Bars
- 1 1/4 cup Kellogg's® All-Bran® Original cereal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour stir well, aerate and measure lightly
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour stir well, aerate and measure lightly
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup semisweet or dark chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans optional
- Line a 9x13 inch metal pan with nonstick foil or regular foil. If using regular foil, spray lightly with cooking spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together bran cereal, flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk together oil, egg and sugar. Stir in vanilla and water. Add cereal mixture, stirring until well combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly in the pan. Sprinkle nuts over the top (if using).
- Bake at 350° F about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool completely, then lift from pan and cut into 16 or 24 bars or squares.