This recipe came to me in the form of an Amex promotion featuring the model, Karlie Kloss. Karlie, who also has a cookie company called Karlie’s Kookies, shared a recipe for her “Perfect 10 Kookies”, which are vegan, gluten free cookies sweetened with agave. At one point you could buy the cookies on-line, but the links haven’t been working lately so it looks like you’ll have to make them.
So on with the recipe. If you need a visual tutorial, watch the video of Karlie and Christina making making Perfect 10 cookies. They give the baking time of 6 minutes at 325 in the video. At one point another version of the recipe appeared Lucky Peach stating 325 for 12 minutes, and the recipe in the ad below says 300 for 8 minutes.
The cookies can be made with either cornstarch (as listed below and on Lucky Peach) or with xanthan gum, like in the chef version I was given that’s all in grams and crazy-easy if you have a scale. That version makes eight giant cookies, which is a more reasonable amount to start with. This one is different than the one in the video (as mentioned) in that the cookies are not punched but rather molded into balls and flattened. The dough is so easy to work with you can either punch it out or just punch down balls. As for the baking time, 8 minutes was too short for me, but about 12 minute at 300 F worked, as did 12 at 325. In other words, the cookies can be rare or well-done and still perfect.
- 200g almond flour
- 100g whole oats
- 1g baking soda (this was a little less than 1/8 teaspoon)
- 2g baking powder (about 3/8 of a teaspoon)
- 2g kosher salt (about 1/8 teaspoon or so -- depends on type)
- 0.5g xanthan gum (about 1/6 of a teaspoon)
- 30g slivered almonds, lightly toasted
- 120g mini dark chocolate chips
- 80g olive oil (or grapeseed)
- 90g agave syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat the oven to 300 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer, with the paddle attachment, mix the dry ingredients together. Add the liquid ingredients and paddle until well combined.
- Scoop cookies firmly with an ice cream scoop onto a parchment-lined sheet pan. Flatten each mound of cookie dough fully with the palm of your hand.
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Store in an airtight container or eat right away!