A lot of people put instant pudding mix in their chocolate chip cookies, but did you know you can also make instant pudding mix oatmeal cookies? As with the chocolate chip variety, the pudding mix helps keep the inside soft and the outside crisp while adding a little flavor.
Instant Pudding Mix Oatmeal Cookie Flavors
For today's batch, I used a combination of cheesecake pudding mix (because that's all I had) and butterscotch chips. It worked pretty well, though I wouldn't recommend going out and buying cheesecake flavor pudding just to make oatmeal cookies. Vanilla, yes! And if you can find white chocolate flavored instant pudding mix, that would probably be great combined with white chips. Or maybe butterscotch? banana? Whatever flavor you use, you'll get a fairly thick cookie with a soft, dense, middle. In my opinion, these are best when completely cool.
Instant Pudding Mix Oatmeal Cookies
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, room temperature or slightly softened (8 oz/224 grams)
- ¼ cup granulated sugar (50 grams)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar (150-160 grams)
- 1 3.4 oz package instant pudding mix (vanilla) (95 grams)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla (optional since pudding mix is flavored) I use it anyway.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour (160 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 ½ cups oats quick or old fashioned (I used old fashioned)
- 1 cup butterscotch chips or more if desired I use more, but 1 cup is a good start
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add both sugars and beat until creamy. Beat in the pudding and vanilla (if using), then add the eggs and beat just until blended.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into the butter mixture until blended. Stir in the oats.
- Using a tablespoon, scoop up dough and roll into balls. Arrange the balls about 2 ½ inches apart on baking sheets. Press tops down slightly.
- Bake one sheet at a time on center rack for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are nicely browned. Remove from baking sheet and let cool completely.