I haven’t seen No Pudge Brownies in a while, but this recipe was developed as a clone. My version of the recipe is for loaf pan brownies. Like the old No Pudge Brownies, these are lower in fat — or at least if you make them with Greek yogurt as directed. Over the years I’ve made various substitutions including chocolate pudding, sour cream and then a hybrid made with yogurt and sour cream. Apparently these brownies are foolproof. Update: I even recently made them with gluten-free flour.
The brownies aren’t decadent, but they are pretty good and definitely satisfy chocolate cravings. I actually prefer them over richer brownies sometimes depending on my mood.
8 Inch Pan Greek Yogurt Brownies
The recipe card version below is for loaf pan brownies. If you want to try the full 8 inch pan version, here are the ingredients.
- 3/4 cup flour (95 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar (200 grams)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder (40 grams)
- 2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 large egg or 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup Greek Yogurt (160 grams)
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
Mix all dry ingredients (flour through cornstarch) in a bowl. Make a well in center and add egg, vanilla and yogurt. Stir well, then stir everything together and add chips. Spread in a greased 8 inch pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until brownies appear set.
No Pudge Brownies Loaf Pan Clone
Here’s the recipe as written for an 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan. If you only have a 9×5, that should be fine, but check the brownies at 20 minutes since a larger, flatter surface area will cause them to cook faster.
I recently made a batch of these using the equivalent (48 grams) of gluten-free flour. It worked perfectly! The brand I tested with was Thomas Keller’s Cup4Cup.
No Pudge Brownie “Clones”
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour (48 grams) 1.7 ounces or equivalent (7 T.) cake flour**
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (100 grams)
- 1/4 cup Dutch process cocoa powder (20-24 grams)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons lightly beaten egg (25 grams)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces or a slightly heaping 1/3 cup of Greek yogurt or prepared chocolate pudding
- 3 tablespoons chocolate chips (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 ½ by 4 ½ inch metal loaf pan with foil and spray with baking spray.
- Mix all dry ingredients (flour through cornstarch) together in a bowl. Make a well in the center and add egg, vanilla and yogurt (or pudding). The batter should be pretty thick.
- Mix all the ingredients together and stir in the chocolate chips. Spread in the pan and bake in lower third of the oven for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Lift from pan, peel away foil and cut into squares.