If you need a little baking therapy, but don’t have the energy to go shopping for ingredients, this recipe for Peanut Butter Bar Cookies might hit the spot. The bars have a thin peanut butter cookie base and are topped with melted chocolate chips or chocolate.
Peanut Butter Bar Cookies Chocolate Topping
I didn’t have chocolate chips so I used milk chocolate for the topping. They’re a little thinner and more cookie-like than some of my other peanut butter bar recipes, but overall they are very good.
Loaf Pan Version
You can make a loaf pan version of these using a 9×5 inch or slightly larger loaf pan. For a loaf pan version, halve all of the ingredients. Check to see if the bars are done after 15 minutes, and if not, continue to bake for 18.
Chocolate Topped Peanut Butter Bars
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1/3 cup extra crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, stir before measuring and do not pack into the cup (4.5 oz by weight)
- 1 cup quick oats not instant
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips or 12 ounce chopped milk or dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 9×13 inch pan with parchment paper or nonstick foil. For a slightly thicker bar, use a 9 inch square pan.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the butter, peanut butter, granulated and brown sugar, egg, vanilla, baking soda and salt. When thoroughly mixed, add the flour and stir until incorporated. Stir in the oats.
- Press the batter across the bottom of the prepared pan and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or just until it appears set and the edges are browned.
- Remove from oven and immediately scatter chocolate chips over the top. Put back in the oven for 1 minute. Remove from oven and let the chips sit until they are soft, then gently spread the softened chips with the back of a spoon. Let cool at room temperature for about 20 minutes, then put in the refrigerator to set the chocolate. Sprinkle with chopped nuts while the chips are still semi-soft if desired.
- Lift from the pan and cut into squares.