In our family this dessert goes by the name “Layered Chocolate Dessert”. It’s descriptive, but not very exciting, so I had to laugh a little when I saw that it had resurfaced on Pinterest as “Chocolate Lasagna”. Way to get attention! I like it. And wouldn’t it be fun to serve it on lasagna night as an ending to an actual lasagna?
The original version is made in a 9×13 inch casserole dish and serves a crowd, but I made mine in an 8 inch dish which serves about 6. To cut it in perfect squares, freeze, cut while frozen, plate and let thaw in the refrigerator.
Layered Chocolate Dessert
- 20 Oreos ground in food processor
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup sweetened whipped cream or topping
- 1 package chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups sweetened whipped cream or topping
- Broken Oreos and chocolate syrup for garnish
- Grease an 8 inch square glass dish.
- Mix together the ground cookies and butter and press into bottom of the dish. Chill for about 10 minutes.
- Beat the cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Stir in milk and vanilla, then fold in the 2/3 cup sweetened whipped topping. Spread evenly over the cookie crust.
- Clean out the mixing bowl and add the pudding mix and milk. Beat or stir until thickened, then pour over cream cheese mixture.
- Chill for about an hour, then pipe or spread remaining whipped cream over the top.