If you’re in the midst of holiday prep and want an easy, relaxing, dessert that the kids can help make, here’s one of our family’s favorites. It’s Small Batch Chocolate Éclair Cake — an icebox cake made with graham crackers, instant pudding, whipped cream and frosting. I think most people would agree, it tastes better than the sum of its parts!
Since I have a lot of other desserts coming up next week, I made the Éclair Cake in an 8 inch square dish. Most recipes are double this and made in a 13×9 inch dish. Éclair Cake in an 8 inch square dish is just the right size for a small family. And if you are a very small family or baking for 2, it freezes well.
Chocolate Eclair Cake in an 8 Inch Pan
Here’s a more recent photo of the whole cake. I usually make Small Batch Chocolate Eclair Cake with three layers of crackers and two layers of pudding, though the one one in the photo above was made with 4 layers of crackers and 3 layers of pudding. The 3 layers of graham cracker is probably the best.
Here’s one with two layers of pudding. French Vanilla is our instant flavor pudding of choice, but if you can’t find the French Vanilla regular Vanilla is perfectly fine.
A Few More Pudding Desserts
Small Batch Chocolate Éclair Cake
- 1 3.4 oz box of Jell-O instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cups milk 2%
- 1/2 of an 8 oz tub Cool Whip or you could use 1/2 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened with some powdered sugar
- 1/2 a box graham crackers or however many you need to make 3 layers
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 3 tablespoons natural unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons of warm milk
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- Whisk pudding mix and milk for about 2 minutes. Pudding should start to thicken. Fold in the whipped topping or freshly whipped cream.
- Arrange graham cracker squares across the bottom of an 8 inch baking dish. You may need to break some of them into small pieces to cover the bottom of the dish. Spread some of the pudding mixture across the graham crackers. Layer on more graham crackers and more pudding mix twice so that you have a total of 3 layers of graham crackers and two layers of pudding mixture.
- To make the icing, beat the butter, cocoa powder and sugar together, then add milk and beat until creamy and smooth. Beat in vanilla.