I’ve eaten my weight in candied popcorn this season and am starting to think it is addictive. I can’t stop eating it, nor can I stop making multiple variations! The latest variation is Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn, which is a toffee flavored caramel corn with chocolate piped or drizzled all over it.
I stumbled upon this chocolate drizzled popcorn recipe while looking for something to do with half a bag of Hershey’s Bits o Brickle. The popcorn is coated with a mixture of corn syrup and melted brickle, then baked and drizzled with melted milk chocolate pieces. It doesn’t require a candy thermometer, and it bakes up nice and crispy once cooled. The chocolate is a fun touch! Up until recently, I thought putting chocolate on caramel corn was overkill, but I’ve changed my tune. Hopefully I can get a peanut butter version in before the new year.
Chocolate Drizzled Popcorn
- 8 cups popped popcorn air-popped works nicely
- ¼ cup salted peanuts
- 1-1/3 cups 8-oz. pkg. Heath Bits o’ Brickle
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons shortening or coconut oil not butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 275° F. Grease large roasting pan or two 13x9x2-inch baking pans with butter.
- Place popcorn and peanuts in prepared pan or pans.
- Combine toffee bits, corn syrup, and salt in heavy medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until toffee is melted (about 12 minutes). Add the vanilla, then pour over popcorn mixture; stir until evenly coated.
- Bake 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Remove from oven; stir every 2 minutes until slightly cooled (this helps break it up). Cool completely and spread popcorn on a parchment lined pan.
- Place milk chocolate chips and shortening in small microwave-safe container or in a heavy duty freezer bag or disposable decorating bag. If using a zipper bag, make sure it's the heavy duty type.
- Microwave at 50% power for 1 minute; stir, or if using a bag, massage the bag. Microwave at at 50% power an additional 10 seconds at a time, stirring (or massaging bag) after each heating, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Drizzle melted chocolate over popcorn. If using a bag, snip the corner off the bag and squeeze lines of chocolate over the popcorn. Allow drizzle to set up; break into pieces.
- Store in tightly covered container in cool, dry place.