I posted this recipe for One Pot Cookies years ago when I made some saucepan chocolate chip cookies using an Abby Dodge recipe and a product called Caramel Delightfulls. I think Caramel Delightfulls were discontinued, but these cookies are just as good without them.
One Pot Cookies
Okay, so what makes them good? The convenience of making the dough all in one saucepan is pretty awesome, but I like these cookies because they are on the thick side. I need to make another batch and post a better photo of the thickness, but the one pot cookies are pretty thick and sturdy. They have a high ratio of flour which makes them on the soft side, but less fat making them more amenable to lots of chocolate and nut add-ins.
In my old version I put M&Ms and chocolate chips in the cookies, then topped them with Caramel Delightfulls (here's what they looked like) and melted chocolate. These days I'd probably just make them with the chocolate chips and maybe a few M&Ms. Or I guess if you wanted to stick with the caramel theme you could just Rolo's.
One Pot M&Ms Cookies
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (114 grams)
- ½ cup light brown sugar (100 grams)
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar (65 grams)
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour (190 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup M&Ms and
- 1 large dark chocolate bar any brand
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Remove from heat and add the sugar. Whisk until smooth and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together and set aside.
- Whisk the egg and vanilla into the slightly cooled butter mixture, then add the flour mixture. Stir with a rubber scraper until mixed, then (after making sure the mixture is not so warm it will melt the chips) stir in chips.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoons onto baking sheets spacing 1 ½ inches apart.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time on center rack for about 12 minutes.
- Carefully transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate bar in the microwave using 50% power and stirring every 30 seconds. Drizzle over the cookies, then chill the cookies just until the chocolate has set.