I’ve been doing a lot of gluten free baking lately, but because I’m not sure what the interest level is out there, I haven’t posted many gluten free recipes. So if you are interested in gluten free recipes, let me know and I’ll share more! For now, here’s a recipe for Gluten Free Vegan Molasses Cookies. Aside from being super easy, they have a really nice flavor thanks to the gluten free flour.
The gluten free flour I’ve been using is Bob’s Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Flour. It’s a little darker in color than King Arthur’s gluten free flour (Which I also love) and a bit coarser, it has a pretty dark hue to it and as mentioned, a good flavor.
In addition to baking without gluten, I’m leaving out the dairy as well and using Nutiva shortening in place of butter. It took me a while to finally buy Nutiva since it’s not exactly cheap and I haven’t liked the flavor of most non-hydrogenated shortenings (icky palm oil), but Nutiva’s flavor is quite pleasant and it performs VERY well. The only thing that drives me nuts is that on the side of the carton they say a tablespoon weighs 14 grams and all the tablespoons I’ve weighed are more like 10 or 11 grams. Sounds nitpicky, but when you bake by weight and are making conversions, it makes a difference. Still, I really like Nutiva.
So those are the only two specialty ingredients, but I think you’ll like using them if you haven’t already.
Here’s the recipe. These are chewy, spicy and very pretty. The recipe only makes 12 cookies, so if for some reason you are not happy with them then you will not have wasted a lot of ingredients.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons Bob's gluten free flour (145 grams)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup very tightly packed brown sugar or Muscovado sugar (99 grams)
- 6 tablespoons non-hydrogenated Nutiva shortening
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1- 2 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
- Sparkly sugar for flair
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together gluten free flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt.
- In a second bowl, mix brown sugar, shortening, molasses and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to brown sugar mixture and stir until mixed. Add 1 tablespoon of applesauce. If dough is dry, add a second. Otherwise, just use 1.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Place the balls about 2 ½ inches apart on parchment lined baking sheets and press tops down slightly.
- Sprinkle tops with sparkly sugar. Bake for 10 minutes. Let cool for 2 minute on sheet, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
If you like the Gluten Free Vegan Molasses Cookies, shoot me an email or leave a comment. I also have a Chocolate Chunk version.