My daughter and I are having a hard time deciding which banana bread recipe we like better — Famous Banana Bread from Flour Bakery, or this banana bread with sour cream and oil. I’ve had the recipe for years but kind of forgot about it until recently when I was going through all my sour cream banana breads.
This one tends to rise a little higher and is less sweet. The sour cream and oil work together to keep it moist, and it develops a handsome brown crust as it bakes. In addition, it stays fresh at room temperature for days.
This banana bread takes a long time to bake. It will be nice and brown after an hour, but the inside may still be slightly wet, so plan on 75 minutes. Of course the bake time could vary depending on your oven and loaf pan. I like baking this one in a Pyrex loaf pan.
It can also be baked in a metal loaf pan. Just be careful with this one because it does get brown quickly and may try to trick you into thinking it’s done. The internal temperature of banana bread should be around 205 degrees F. or you can just test with a metal skewer.
Banana Bread with Sour Cream and Oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour 280 grams
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar 200 grams
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 very ripe medium bananas mashed (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sour cream 114 grams
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips or toasted walnuts or pecans optional
- Preheat the oven 350°F Grease and flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan. I always use Pyrex for this one.
- In a large bowl, thoroughly whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Combine the sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla in a mixing bowl and mix just until blended.
- Add the bananas and sour cream and mix until just blended. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the flour mixture, and mix until just blended.
- Transfer batter to loaf pan and bake for about 75 minutes (test it after 60) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool on a rack for 10 minutes.Loosen edges with a knife and let cool for another 30 minutes, then invert from pan and let cool completely.