Hershey’s Perfectly Chocolate Cake is one of my favorite chocolate cake recipes. While I tend to jump around trying new and different cake recipes, this is one I routinely fall back on when I need something tried and true. In addition to that, it’s a great tool for teaching new bakers how to make chocolate cake. It’s pretty much fool-proof, doesn’t require lots of equipment and always gets compliments. It’s also less expensive than some other cakes since it calls for cocoa powder rather than chocolate and oil instead of butter.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup natural or dark Hershey's cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup natural Hershey's Cocoa (I don't recommend the dark in this one)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 heaping tablespoon of sour cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 2 9 inch round cake pans and then dust with flour. I
- In a mixing bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt .
- Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes.
- Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks.
- Let cool completely, then make the frosting.
- Frosting: Melt butter, then put it in the bowl of a stand mixer. Stir in cocoa, then begin adding powdered sugar alternately with the milk. Beat to spreading consistency.
- Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla and sour cream and beat until blended.
For a 3 layer cake, bake 30 to 35 minutes.
For a Bundt cake, bake 50 to 55 minutes.
Cupcakes: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Makes about 30