Bittersweet Chocolate Chunk Cookies

by on July 24, 2005 · 7 comments

This is one of my favorite chocolate chunk cookie recipes. You can use a bittersweet chocolate bar or sub bittersweet chocolate chips.

chunkcookies.jpg

Bittersweet Chocolate Chunk Cookies

8 oz bittersweet chocolate, broken up
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup flour
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks

Preheat oven to 325°. Place chocolate and butter in microwave and melt on high for 1 1/2 minutes, stopping every 30 seconds to stir. Allow chocolate to cool slightly.

In a bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt; set aside.

In large mixer bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla until pale yellow and
slightly thickened, about 5 minutes with mixer on medium. (note: cookies will still be great if you don’t beat the full five minutes).

Stir in cooled chocolate mixture, then flour mixture. Stir in chocolate chunks

Drop cookies onto nonstick baking sheet, about 2 leveled tablespoons per
cookie, about 2-inches apart.

Bake 12-14 minutes or until tops are slightly cracked, centers will still be
soft.

Makes about 14 cookies

Published on July 24, 2005

Anna July 24, 2005 at 3:15 pm

Most of what I bake goes to my husband’s co-workers and my neighbors. They’re great critics and appreciate the homemade snacks. But honestly, I’m still looking for new places to donate goodies. If anyone has suggestions, let me know!

Anonymous July 24, 2005 at 3:08 pm

Good luck in the Kraft/Philadelphia contest! I enjoy your blog, but what do you do with all the tasty things you bake? I love to bake but have no willpower, so I don’t do it as often as I would like . . . or I would be 200 pounds!

Anonymous July 24, 2005 at 3:56 pm

What was your previous winning recipe?

Anna July 24, 2005 at 5:35 pm

The original contest was a called “Taste The Riches” and it was co-sponsored by Gourmet Magazine. All entries had to be mailed in and accompanied by a proof of purchase. My entry was a hazelnut swirl cheesecake which I tested on some friends from eGullet. There was a huge lagtime between the time of entry and the time they announced the winners, so when I recieved the congratulatory call, I was stunned. I thought surely the contest was over. Shortly thereafter I received a check for $2,500, a 3 year subscription to Gourmet, a Gourmet Magazine apron and a platter shaped like a fish (very random). I spent some of the money on a leather chair I’d been eyeing, then put the rest in the bank.

s'kat July 29, 2005 at 12:11 pm

I am truly honoured, Anna, thanks for giving them a whirl!

Anna August 12, 2005 at 10:38 am

Hi Anonymous!Thanks for stopping by. Your perspective is appreciated and I thank you for your comments. You add kindling to my fire, but in a good way.My take on Sandra Lee is that she motivates people who otherwise HATE cooking to get in the kitchen and at least “assemble” something. A few people I know have been so proud of their Sandra Lee creations that they’ve moved on to bigger and better things. Frankly, I don’t use many of her recipes but I admire her and Anne Byrne for teaching folks to “doctor” when they don’t have time to cook and clean up a huge mess. Besides, I’ve met Tony Bourdain and Rick Bayless. Now I need to balance things out :).

Anonymous August 12, 2005 at 9:58 am

I cant believe you want to meet Sandra Lee. She gives gourmet cook’s a bad name. How can you think anything she does even resembles real cooking?