Chocolate Sparkle Cookies

by on October 3, 2005 · 9 comments

If you read the Los Angeles Times you may have heard of the Sparkle Cookie. It’s the signature cookie of pastry chef Thomas Haas and it has been billed as the best cookie in the world. Is it really the world’s best?¬†It probably¬†comes close, so long as you don’t overcook it.

Here’s a picture of three sparkle cookies. They don’t look decadent, but when you bite into them you will find they are soft, fudgy and rich. Again, don’t overcook.

sparkle cookies for blog.jpg

Chocolate Sparkle Cookies

1/2 lb very good quality bittersweet chocolate
3 tablespoons room temperature butter, cut into pieces
2 eggs
1 T honey
1/3 c sugar — plus more for rolling
3/4 c ground almonds
2 tsp cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
Coarse sugar for garnish

Melt chocolate on top of a double boiler. Add the chocolate.

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs, gradually adding the sugar and honey until light & the mixture falls in thick ribbons (10 minutes). Fold into the chocolate-butter mixture. Add the cocoa powder and salt to the ground almonds & mix; gently add to the chocoate mixture.

Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Use a small ice cream scoop to form the dough into 1 inch balls. Working quickly, roll the balls in granulated sugar. Place on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake at 325 degrees F for about 12 minutes, until the centres are most, but not wet. Cool slightly. Dust lightly with coarse (sparkly) sugar.

Makes 36 cookies

Published on October 3, 2005

Randi October 3, 2005 at 10:31 pm

omg, that is an expensive cookie. I hope they turn out, then i’ll bake them.

s'kat October 4, 2005 at 6:35 am

I’ve had this recipe in my to be cooked binder for, oh, a year or so now. I’m on the edge of my seat with anticipation!

Andrea October 4, 2005 at 10:40 am

The best? I’m listening! :)Will be back to see how they turn out!

RedQueen October 7, 2005 at 6:14 pm

Anna-I made these earlier this year as a gift for the staff at my chiropractor’s office. They were FABULOUS–very dense and one of the chocolatiest cookies I’ve ever tasted.

Roger October 4, 2008 at 12:32 am

You know, (almost!) every time I line up at his shop in North Vancouver, he brings out a small batch and treat his customer for a free bite of this cookie.

It is a classic at its best … but it also have the right balance of sweetness of cookie, fluffy lightness, chocolate flavours, and it will light up a cold Canadian winter if you have to line up outside in the cold because this hot cookie just melts in your mouth!!

A hole in one!

Shanon February 25, 2009 at 6:06 pm

Best cookie, easy to make and bake.

Alton December 1, 2009 at 5:59 pm

The cookie looks like it has regular or sanding sugar on it, but the recipe said dust with powdered sugar which doesnt seem like it would make them sparkling.

Anna December 1, 2009 at 6:19 pm

Alton, good catch! I have no idea why I put “powdered sugar”. It should be coarse sugar.

If you can’t find the coarse or sparkly decorating sugar, you *can* use powdered sugar. They won’t sparkle, though.

Lori December 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm

My husband loves these and they are so easy to make and gluten free.