Sparkling Water Pound Cake was inspired by the Lemon 7-Up Cake I baked the other day. We love 7-up, but what we usually have around is sparkling water. I wanted to see if using sparkling water in a pound cake would work in its place, so I used tangerine flavored La Croix and a little tangerine zest.
Sparkling Water Pound Cake Texture
The result was a great tasting cake with a soft texture and a good burst of tangerine flavor. Sadly, something went wrong when I greased and floured my Bundt pan because the cake lost some of its crust on the way out. Apparently there's no such thing as too much grease and flour on a Bundt pan.
Oh well. Here's the texture shot. That didn't go well either. I was trying to take pictures at night and feeling very impatient.
As mentioned, I used La Croix Tangerine and added some tangerine zest to the batter. Next time I might use lemon or lime flavored water and lemon or lime zest or use plain sparkling water, extra vanilla and chocolate chips. Lots of possibilities!
Sparkling Water Pound Cake
- 3 sticks unsalted butter softened (336 grams)
- 3 cups granulated sugar 588 grams
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt omit 1 tsp if using salted butter
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ tablespoon zest or use orange, lime or lemon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups all-purpose flour 380 grams, sift after measuring
- 1 cup your favorite flavored Tangerine, lime or lemon sparkling water
- 1 tablespoon tangerine juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Thoroughly grease and flour a standard 12 cup Bundt pan.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter, sugar and salt (if using) until light and creamy, scraping bowl often.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in flavorings (zest and vanilla).
- Alternately add flour and sparkling water. Mix after each addition.
- Pour into pan and bake at 325 degrees F. for 60 to 80 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove from pan and let cool completely. Drizzle with glaze.
- To make the glaze, mix together 1 cup powdered sugar and the 2 tablespoons of juice or just enough to make it thick enough to flow from a spoon.