Chocolate, Ginger & Wasabi Brownies

by on July 20, 2006 · 9 comments

I’d been itching to put wasabi in chocolate for some time, so when I found the wasabi/chocolate/ginger Black Pearl chocolate bars at Whole Foods, I bought two. At $5.99 a bar (3.5 oz) they weren’t cheap, but I was very curious to see how they’d work in brownies. Vosges has a brownie recipe on their site, but I opted to use Nancy Baggett’s, which I’ve grown very fond of. All I did was sub 5 ounces of the wasabi/ginger chocolate for the bittersweet. For texture, I chopped up a little extra chocolate and added it at the end so that the brownies would have some chunks.

The chocolate/wasabi/ginger brownies were good and would be a creative ending to a Japanese themed meal. I’m still waiting to get a report from Todd’s office. It will be interesting to see if people say “Wow! Brownies with chocolate, ginger, and wasabi! How classy and exotic!” or if they’ll just take a bite and silently wonder if I cut the brownies with a knife I’d been using to chop ginger.

wasabibrowniesforblog.jpg

Published on July 20, 2006

Jen July 20, 2006 at 3:38 pm

Those look great and I am so intrigued by the flavor combo. I love spicy sweets and all things ginger and wasabi. If nothing else, I’ll have to try Baggett’s brownie recipe.:-)

Julie July 20, 2006 at 5:43 pm

Hi,I love mixing chocolate with unexpected flavors. Wasabi is out there, but I think it could really work with the ginger. Nice site!

Steph Bachman July 20, 2006 at 8:30 pm

Those brownies sound great! Your plate is very pretty too.

jenjen July 21, 2006 at 9:29 am

what an interesting combination of flavours. I would love to try this sometime.

Amy July 21, 2006 at 12:19 pm

What did Todd’s co-workers think?

Anna July 21, 2006 at 12:37 pm

Jen, can’t wait to hear your opinion. I have to say, these weren’t very spicy. No wasabi nose burns here.Julie, thanks for stopping by! Steph, that is Royal Worcestershire Bone China. You have a good eye. Jen, I think you’d like these based on your tastes.Amy, Todd told them what they were ahead of time so of course they liked them.

Burr November 3, 2006 at 12:10 am

Is it real wasabi or the green horseradish
that is standard in the US?
I tried some fresh real wasabi from Oregon, http://www.freshwasabi.com, recently. It has a very subtle flavor that went well with the tuna I was serving, though it might be overpowered by good chocolate.

Anna November 3, 2006 at 7:45 am

The wasabi was already in the chocolate, so I checked Vosges Chocolate site and it doesn’t say whether the wasabi is pure. The bars are $7.00 a piece, so it might be! Either way, the Vosges bar had a good balance.

The only pure wasabi I’ve tasted is from Penzey’s. I love Penzey’s, but I found the pure wasabi too grassy/almost spinachy tasting. It improves as it sits, but I didn’t like it as much as the green stuff from a tube.

auto insurance rate December 3, 2006 at 8:28 pm