This very basic but tasty Ginger Bundt Cake is for Todd & Fuzz who both love ginger. The lemon drizzle makes it special so don’t leave that out. It’s kind of a sticky cake and turning it out of the pan didn’t go so well. In fact, it was the first time flour added cooking spray let me down. Maybe I missed a spot? At any rate, make sure you really grease the pan well.
Ginger Bundt Cake with Lemon Glaze
- 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour I4.75 oz weight**
- 5 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 scant teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mild molasses
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup toasted chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger
- Lemon Drizzle
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 10 inch fluted tube (Bundt) pan with flour-added cooking spray or rub with shortening and dust with flour.
- Whisk together flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- Whisk together molasses, sugar, eggs and oil. Stir in boiling water, followed by vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until mixed, then stir in chopped walnuts and ginger.
- Bake on center rack for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 15 mintues, then flip out onto a cooling rack. Let the cake cool completely, then prepare the drizzle.
- In a 2 cup glass measure, microwave the butter for 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in the lemon juice, then add a couple of spoonfuls of powdered sugar and stir until smooth. Keep adding sugar, stirring well, until the icing is a good drizzling consistency. To test, hold some in a spoon and let it fall back into the cup. Hold the measuring cup of the cake and drizzle it decoratively down sides.
- Note: If your Bundt pan (fluted tube pan) is black, bake at 325 degrees F. for 45 to 55 minutes.