For an “Ooohs and Ahs” cake, try this one. It looks complicated, but it is incredibly simple.
When I poured the flan batter over the chocolate, Fuzz said it looked like “Alligators in a Swamp”. ….
…but when I flipped it out she said “Wow”. So did Todd.
Todd and I don’t really like flan. Maybe this cake will change that. I haven’t chilled it yet, so I’ll give you a full review tomorrow.
- 11 ounces caramel topping, softened or at room temp
- 1 box chocolate cake mix plus ingredients called for on box
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup milk
- 8 ounces cream cheese — softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 5 large eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with flour-added cooking spray or grease the pan with shortening and dust with flour. Pour caramel topping into pan.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour the cake batter into the cake pan over the caramel topping.
- Make the flan. Pour condensed, evaporated and fresh milks into a blender. Add softened cream cheese, vanilla and eggs and blend or process until smooth. Pour the flan mixture very slowly over the cake batter.
- Spray a sheet of aluminum foil with cooking spray (or just use nonstick foil) and cover the pan TIGHTLY with the foil. Covering tightly is very important. Set the Bundt pan into a large pan and set on the oven rack and slide in.
- Carefully pour hot water into the larger pan to a depth of 2 inches (The Bundt pan will be sitting in 2 inches of water). Bake for two hours.
- After two hours, remove cake from water and allow to cool for 15 minutes. Peel off the aluminum foil. Invert cake onto a large plate with rim. The caramel topping should flow down the sides. Cool completely then refrigerate.