Caramel Macchiato Cookies

by on October 17, 2007 · 14 comments

I’d been wondering how the new caramel bits would work in drop cookies and was very excited to hear from a reader who had done some experimenting. Using an earlier recipe as a base, her changes included adding espresso powder, adding an egg yolk and finally, adding caramels. She called her creation “Caramel Macchiato Cookies” which is catchy, right?

Below are the measurements I used in this morning’s batch, but you can adjust the amount of chocolate and caramel to your liking. Make sure you use parchment paper, because the cookies come out of the oven pretty sticky. They do firm up and the caramel bits add a nice chew and flavor. If you can’t find caramel bits, you can use regular caramels. Unwrap them and cut them into chunks.

Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies

Caramel Macchiato Cookies

1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1 tablespoon espresso powder
1 large egg
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/3 cup Kraft caramel bits (more if you like)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment.

Stir together flour, baking soda and salt; Set aside.

Using high speed of an electric mixer, beat both sugars, butter and shortening until creamy. Beat in espresso powder. Reduce speed to low and mix in egg, egg yolk and vanilla – do not overbeat after adding the egg. Add flour mixture to butter mixture and stir until flour is incorporated. Add chocolate chips and caramel bits.

Drop cookies by teaspoonfuls onto baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden around edges and set. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Makes about 26 cookies

Published on October 17, 2007

Jennifer October 17, 2007 at 9:56 am

Mmmm… Quinn would love these! I need to be on the lookout for those caramel bits.

Dana October 17, 2007 at 10:39 am

These look really yummy! I’ve been playing around with the different chips in the stores lately, too. I found cappuccino chips the other day, and today put some in a batch of chocolate-espresso biscotti-YUM!

Johnny October 17, 2007 at 1:07 pm

When I goto starbucks I always get an iced carmel macchiato. these cookies have me intrigued!

Anna October 17, 2007 at 12:26 pm

Jennifer, try Super Target or Super Wal*Mart.

Dana, I like playing around with different types of chips too. I wish they’d bring back the cherry chips.

Angie October 17, 2007 at 3:28 pm

The cookies look wonderful. I will admit the only thing I use caramels for this time of year is caramel apples…my all time favorite! I dip them in caramel and then an assortment of toppings…the sky is the limit! I use crushed mixed nits, coconut, and sometimes I drizzle the whole thing with chocolate…totally decadent! I will make the cookies because the PICTURE is mouthwatering! Thanks

Anna October 17, 2007 at 2:57 pm

I really like these cookies. After they sat around for a while, the caramels firmed up and the cookies have a definite chew to them — but it’s kind of a good chewiness. The coffee flavor is interesting too.

JEP October 17, 2007 at 5:03 pm

How creative & tasty these look!

Valerie October 17, 2007 at 6:20 pm

Yours look way better than mine did, but I think my pour was a little heavy with the extract. I just ate one out of the freezer…I recommend letting them get to room temperature before attempting to bite into them (unless you’re cool with a visit to the dentist!).

Anna October 17, 2007 at 6:39 pm

You’re totally my hero today, Valerie. These were great. I’ll skip the freezer.

JEP, Valerie is a creative genius, eh?

Angie, I was thinking of doing those types of apples for my daughter’s Halloween party, but I have a feeling the kids are too young to really appreciate that activity. They might, but I think it might be more fun for 8 year olds and older rather than 6.

Johnny, l saw that cake Mel baked you. Maybe you should bake her some of these. Just DON’T PUT THEM IN THE FREEZER.

Tiffany October 18, 2007 at 10:45 am

Oh wow…I have to make these! That’s my favorite Starbucks drink….in a cookie :-)

Emilie October 18, 2007 at 1:00 pm

I’m drinking a macchiato right now! It’s a sign from above that I need to make these cookies.

rachel February 26, 2008 at 11:17 am

I have a question which i am really intriguied about: how does one get choc chip cookies to have that browned, crispy thin layer (like brownies) and yet have a chewy, soft middle which is not crunchy or cakey? Like Millies Cookies or bakery cookies…every batch of cookies i make either turn out too crispy and oily or too cakey and not moist enough…anyone help please?? Thank you!! :P

Amy April 16, 2008 at 12:41 pm

These were great! Both my hubby and I wanted them to be more coffee-flavored, though. I did use instant coffee instead of espresso powder, but I’ve done that in other recipes with good results. Can I just increase the amount of coffee, or would I have to adjust other ingredients as well?

Also, why the extra egg yolk? Why not the white, or just another whole egg?

Montana Veach January 27, 2011 at 9:00 pm

So we have to do this project in my high school language class, and we have to write a process paper on how to make a specific cookie…write a reflection paper…and bake them! (: it’s supposed to be our favorite cookie, but who am i kidding! i love all cookies! lol so while browsing for recipes,i stumbled upon these bad boys!These looked super tasty! I’m quite excited to try em out! Wish me luck…and a good grade :D