“In Between” Chocolate Chip Cookies

by on November 20, 2007 · 8 comments

My make-ahead Thanksgiving dishes are done, but it’s too early to start the others. I guess this is Thanksgiving purgatory, so to pass the time, I tried out a new chocolate chip cookie recipe. This one’s from Shirley Corriher, a famous food scientist/cook. I changed the amount of nuts and chips and that’s about it. She calls this her “in between” cookie, meaning not too thick, not too thin. Mine were a little on the thin side, but they were delicious with crispy edges and soft centers. Sometimes cookies made with baking powder and cake flour come out a little cakey and not very brown. These aren’t cakey at all. In her book Cookwise, Shirley has 3 other versions of this cookie – basic, puffy and thin.   Cookies aside, Cookwise is a great book and a must for anyone interested in the science behind baking and cooking.

chocolate chip cookies

Shirley Corriher’s “In Between” Cookies

1/2 cup pecan halves
1/2 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cup cake flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
5 tablespoons unsalted butter
5 tablespoons butter-flavored shortening
3/4 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 large egg
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups semisweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)
Nonstick cooking spray

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

On a large baking sheet, roast the pecans for 10 to 12 minutes. While the nuts are still hot, stir in the 1/2 tablespoon butter. Let the pecans cool then chop them.

Turn the oven up to 375 degrees.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, salt and baking powder; set aside

Beat butter, shortening and brown sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the corn syrup. Add the egg and beat for 30 seconds. Stir in the vanilla. With a mixing spoon, gradually add the flour mixture until thoroughly combined. Stir in the pecans and chocolate chips

Line cookie sheets with non-stick foil or parchment. Drop rounded tablespoons of batter about 2 inches apart onto the sheets and bake the cookies for about 12 minutes or until the edges just begin brown. Remove from the oven and let the cookies cool on the sheet on a cooling rack for 3 minutes, then remove the cookies to a rack to cool completely.

Makes about 20 cookies — Note:  These work better on Air-Bake (insulated) cookie sheets.

Published on November 20, 2007

Cerise Ly November 20, 2007 at 1:50 pm

I made the soft ones a few days ago using spectrum shortening. They dried out after a few days to crunchy. I will try the in between recipe tomorrow.

Anna November 20, 2007 at 1:52 pm

Cerise, do you mean the puffy ones from Shirley Corriher?

These were really, really good. They hit the spot today.

Abi November 20, 2007 at 3:07 pm

Anna – What is your preferred type of chocolate chip? Usually I buy whatever is on sale, but I was wondering if there’s something that you specifically recommend.

Anna November 20, 2007 at 3:11 pm

Abi, my absolute favorite is the Ghirardelli bittersweet chips. But sometimes I get tired of them and buy Nestle semi-sweet or Hershey Dark. Oh, my other favorite are Callebaut chips, but those are harder to find.

Kelly November 20, 2007 at 6:36 pm

Anna, have you even made any cookies using prepackaged trail mix. I have a bag laying around and I am trying to find a way to use it up! I do hope you post some of your non- cookie thanksgiving recipes on your site!

Anna November 20, 2007 at 7:33 pm

Hi Kelly,

I think I put put pre-packaged trail mix in Monster cookies at one point. You might try making the award winning Mrs. Fields cookies, but instead of adding butterscotch chips and pecans, add trail mix.

Judy November 22, 2007 at 12:35 am

These are my very favorite chip cookies. I bought Corriher’s book when it was first published and I’ve been making these cookies ever since. I alternate between these and the puffy ones, since I’ve never cared for the flat crisp chip cookies. Also, I use different kinds of chips for fun. I’ve used cherry chips, cinnamon chips, green mint chips. It’s a very versatile recipe. Thanks for highlighting it.

Anna November 22, 2007 at 7:59 am

Hello Judy!

Thanks for the comment. I wonder why this recipe isn’t as popular as some of the others out there? The “In Betweens” are kind of what the back of the bag Toll House cookies aspire to be. That is, they are light, crispy edged and perfectly browned on the edge. Unlike some of the other cookies here, they aren’t hearty and bakery-like. These are very homey.

I’m going to have to make a batch of the puffy style cookies. I made them years ago, but kind of forgot how they tasted.