Today’s Raspberry Streusel Bars recipe, or at least the original version, is from Jeanne Jones. I got it from my friend Shirley DeSantis who made it a few days ago for a healthy living group. Their topic was "Food" and for an activity they all brought in lightened dessert recipes. The raspberry bars were Shirley’s contribution.
Shirley adjusted Jeanne’s recipe slightly – a bit more butter, a bit less white chips. All adjustments are reflected in the nutrition count, which I got from Mastercook. Even with the extra butter, the fat still comes in around 34%. Not bad for something so delicious.
I used Ghirardelli White Chips. They tasted great, but they did brown quite a bit so I sprinkled some fresh white chips over the bars after taking them out of the oven. Looking at this picture, I'm not so sure that was a good idea since some are brown and some are still bright white. Next time I'll just sprinkle more streusel over the chips to shield them a bit from the heat.
Raspberry Streusel Bars
- ¼ cup chopped almonds
- 1-¼ cups quick oats uncooked
- 1-¼ cups all purpose flour or the new “white whole wheat”
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6-½ tablespoons butter melted
- 2-½ tablespoons water
- 1 cup raspberry all-fruit spread
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8 inch square metal pan with nonstick foil.
- Lay the almonds on a cookie sheet and roast them for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let almond cool. Keep oven at 350.
- In large bowl (or food processor) combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine butter and water; add to flour mixture. Mix until crumbly. Reserve 1 cup of this mixture and combine it with the cooled, toasted almonds. Press remaining mixture into bottom of prepared pan and bake for 10 minutes.
- Spread the raspberry preserves evenly over baked crust to ¼ inch of edges.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture and the white chips over the fruit spread. Return to oven and bake for 25-30 more minutes. Let bars cool before cutting into squares.
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 221 Calories; 8g Fat (33.6% calories from fat); 3g Protein; 34g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 13mg Cholesterol; 128mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; ½ Fruit; 1 ½ Fat; ½ Other Carbohydrates. .