Iced Eggnog Cookies

by on December 4, 2007 · 23 comments

Yesterday’s meringue cookies left me with a lot of yolks. Given that I also had eggnog left over from Mrs. Waldbaum’s cake, this old Mrs. Fields recipe was the natural choice.

You can find the original recipe in Mrs. Fields Cookie Book. And in case you want to read reviews before proceeding, the recipe has been on Recipezaar for a while too.

About the butter. Mrs. Fields specifies salted butter. If you only buy unsalted butter, you should add about 1/4 teaspoon of salt to the flour mixture to get proper results.

These are good little cookies.

Eggnog Cookies

Mrs. Fields Eggnog Cookies

2 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup SALTED butter, room temp (Mrs. Fields calls for this)
1/2 cup eggnog
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon nutmeg (optional)

Preheat oven to 300F.

In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg; mix well with a wire whisk and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter with an electric mixer. Add eggnog, vanilla and egg yolks and beat at medium speed until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and beat at low speed just until combined.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets, 1″ apart. Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg or skip this step and sprinkle on the nutmeg after you ice the cookies. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until bottoms turn light brown.

Transfer to cool, flat surface immediately with spatula.

Eggnog Icing
3 C. confectioners’ sugar
1/4 C. softened butter or margarine
1/3 C. commercial eggnog (use as much as you need)

In small mixer bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar and butter or margarine until well blended. Gradually beat in eggnog until icing is smooth. Makes about 1 1/2 cups.

Published on December 4, 2007

Chelsea December 4, 2007 at 10:36 am

Cool! I was going to do eggnog cookies too! I was going to use a different recipe, but I think I’ll stick with this one and maybe try out the eggnog icing instead of just sprinkling them with colored sugar.

carole December 4, 2007 at 10:47 am

I love anything eggnog. Will make these as soon as I buy or make some eggnog.

Therese December 4, 2007 at 1:28 pm

I just got back from the dentist and grocery store…we have a de luche egg nog at the grocers,(something new)….I am wondering if that would work in this recipe??!! I was so close to buying it…now I have to go back so I can try it with this recipe. LOVE THE NOG! Somewhere out there I bet there is a NOG BLOG..?!!

Have you ever made homemade egg nog? My mom-n-law makes it…ah man, it is good stuff.

Emiline December 4, 2007 at 2:12 pm

These look so good. I love the nog.

Anna December 4, 2007 at 2:25 pm

I never even really liked eggnog up until this year.

Therese, I’ve never made it. I’d rather have a glass of wine and a piece of cake than drink a 400 calorie drink….but that’s just me ;).

Jenny Flake December 4, 2007 at 4:59 pm

Ooooh, my boys LOVE eggnog. I’ve got a big bottle of eggnog in the frige, I’ll definately be trying these. Thanks for the great recipe!

Therese December 4, 2007 at 7:19 pm

A dream

All Christmas treats have no calories! Just keep chanting this…oh how I wish it worked!
ARGG!

I will have to see Santa about this!!

Katie December 5, 2007 at 3:31 am

Anna,

Happy Sinterklaas from The Netherlands! I am hoping you can help me in honor of this fantastic Dutch holiday. They have a cookie here called Gevulde Koek. (Filled Cookie). It is big, and has a pastry-like cookie layer on the outside and a very shiny glazed top studded with an almond. The inside is sweetened almond paste. They are AMAZING and I would love to replicate the recipe. Any clue where to start????

Katie

Kathy December 5, 2007 at 8:17 am

Anna,

These sound great! I’m gonna try the Eggnog Cake too!

I wanted to send you an e-mail, but I couldn’t find the link on your site. Anywho, I found this recipe and it sounds delish! Thought you’d like to give it a try; if you do, let us know!

Chunky Chocolate “Gobs”
Recipe source: Christmas with Southern Living, 2007

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup butter-flavored shortening
1 cup sugar
2/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups AP flour
2/3 cup unsweeted cocoa
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, coarsely chopped. Approximately 16 cookies (Oreos?)
3 (1.75 oz.) Mounds bars, chilled and chopped
1 to 2 cups semisweet morsels

Beat butter and shortening at medium speed with an electric mixter until creamy; gradually add sugars, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, vanilla, beating until blended.

Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; gradually add to butter mixture, beating until blended. Stir in cookie chunks, candy bars, and desired amount of chocolate morsels. Chill dough 30 minutes.

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Drop dough by 1/4 cupfuls 2 inches apart onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until barely set. Cool on baking sheets 10 minutes, then transfer to wire cooling racks to cool completely.

Makes 2 1/2 dozen

Jen December 5, 2007 at 10:28 am

I’ve made those and I seem to recall them going over well. Taste of Home had a similar one that might have been better, but I can’t remember now. I don’t like Eggnog. . .but I like the spices that go into it. I think I just have an aversion to creamy-type beverages.

Tara December 7, 2007 at 5:34 pm

I made these cookies the other night and just loved them! I love the eggnog frosting too, but would almost rather use the recipes separately. Once the frosting was on I could hardly taste the cookie anymore. I was kind of disappointed that by the next afternoon they weren’t nearly as good. I kept them in a zip lock bag. How have they kept for you? I was thinking of using them as gifts, but they would need a little better longevity.

By the way I love your site and check it all the time!

Anna December 7, 2007 at 9:08 pm

Hi Tara,

Someone on Recipezaar said she liked them better the second day. As for me, I didn’t try them the second day but I sent them to my husband’s office and people seemed to like them. So I’m not sure….

Anna December 7, 2007 at 9:09 pm

I wouldn’t give them as a gift cookie, though. Not unless it was a same day gift. A “Here, eat these tonight” type gift.

cookiemonster December 19, 2007 at 11:49 am

Can these be made a few days in advance? How would you store them? Thanks!

Carla January 1, 2008 at 7:59 pm

I baked these cookies tonight. I thought they tasted fine with sprinkled nutmeg and no glaze. Good choice to use up leftover eggnog.

Kathy Nasano December 15, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Hey Anna,

Do you think this recipe would work well in a cookie press????

ChattyKathy

Anna December 15, 2009 at 1:02 pm

No, I think they’d be too cakey. I’m not a cookie press expert, though. You could try, but I think you’d be better off with a shortbread or butter cookie recipe.

Kathy Nasano December 15, 2009 at 2:16 pm

Anna, I didn’t think you would get back to me so swiftly so I went ahead (against my better judgment) and put them in the cookie press and much to my surprise they came out, I’ll post a pic on FB! I cut the baking time to 9 minutes and I chilled the dough for 15 minutes, however, the dough has to be chilled each time you load the cookie press or the cookies will lose their shape! Great recipe though, I made them last week the regular way and I added 2 tbsp. of Bailey’s Irish Cream to the icing, they came out delic! Thanks for such a great blog!

Cheers,
(Chatty) Kathy

Anna December 15, 2009 at 3:50 pm

Well, then. I take my comment back! I’m glad they worked. I haven’t used my cookie press in years, but maybe I should pull it out and play with it one of these days.

Kathy Nasano December 15, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Anna,

I know I’ve only used my cookie press ONCE before, I have to say it’s therapeutic to just shoot the cookies out! You may want to get out and shoot out some cookies! LOL!

Amanda December 18, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Anna, these sound fabulous!!!

Adam December 24, 2009 at 5:32 pm

I thought these were great! I did up the oven temp to 325 for the second batch and that worked a little better. At 300 they needed to stay in the oven for about 30-35 minutes. The taste, however, was spot on!! And I would eat that frosting on just about anything!!

Anna December 24, 2009 at 9:15 pm

Glad they worked, Adam. Thanks for the note about oven adjustments. Hopefully people will try at 300 and if that doesn’t work, up the temp. 300 worked in my oven when I made these, but all ovens are different.