Chocolate Chip Cookies with Matzo Meal

These cookies are light, crisp and have an interesting flavor. They spread quite a bit when I made them, but set up nicely and tasted very good. I especially liked the edges, which is bad because if I have a batch of cookies lying around I will eat the edges off all of them and ruin the cookies for everyone else. Oh well. My batch spread a bit, but I didn’t use real matzo cake meal but rather matzoh that I’d ground up in the food processor. These would probably be even better with actual matzoh cake meal. Either way, they taste delicious and have a very interesting texture.Passover Cookies

Matzoh Meal Chocolate Chip Cookies (Adapted from a Marcy Goldman recipe)

1 1/3 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
3/4 cup (6 oz) unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extra**
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup matzo cake meal (or make your own – see note)
1 cup potato starch (potato starch flour)
2 cups chocolate chips (or approved Kosher type chocolate)

In a large mixing bowl, cream both sugars with butter. Add vanilla. Blend in the eggs.

Stir in the salt, cake meal and potato starch. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Chill the dough for 1 hour or overnight for chewy cookies, do not chill if you prefer thin, crisp cookies.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.

Scoop out generous teaspoonfuls of dough or roll marble sized balls. Place on the baking sheets, leaving plenty of room for the cookies to spread (3 ½ inches).

Press down a little if using chilled dough.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes- watch carefully- then cool on the baking sheets for 20 to 30 minutes. Use a thin metal spatula to remove the cookies

Note:

To make matzoh cake meal, place regular matzoh meal in a food processor and process for a minute or until finely ground.

Original recipe did not include vanilla. It called for ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar.

Comments

1. Karen says

Thanks for posting this – they look good, I have a large repertoire of passover recipes and have never made a chocolate chip cookie! Here is a recipe for blondies for passover that is outstanding, my daughter especially looks forward to it every year:

Cream 1 cup unsalted butter with 1 1/2 cups brown sugar and 1/4 cup white sugar. Mix in 2 eggs. Mix in 1/4 teaspoon salt and scrapings from a one-inch piece of vanilla bean (or use 2 teaspoons vanilla extract.) Then add 1 cup matzo cake meal, 1 cup potato starch, 1 cup chopped chocolate and one cup toasted pecans or walnuts. Spread in a greased 9 ” square pan. Bake 35-40 minutes at 350, until set – it doesn’t really brown very much.

Karen, thanks so much for posting your recipe. I will definitely make it between now and Passover. I love that it calls for both of the new ingredients I bought today — Matzo Meal and Potato starch. Thanks again!!!!

Thanks you!
    Passover is coming up and as I live in Israel we do celebrate it and avoid any bread and nread products!
    I will definately try these cookies. They do look like a winner.
    Thanks

Hello Dorit!

I’m guessing Matzoh Cake Meal is easiert to find in Israel than in South Texas and am looking forward to seeing what your cookies look like compared to mine.

The next Passover cookie I make is going to be the one Karen posted above.

5. carole says

Anna

If you need any additional passover products (matzoh cake flour, potato starch, etc.) let me know and I will send them to you.

We have a stricty kosher market within walking distance.

They even have Kosher for Passover Chocolate and Chocolate Chips.

6. Josie says

I’m sooo excited to make a cookie that is not a macaroon this year. Guess my husband and I will have to stop using Passover as a time to crash-diet!

Carole, thanks so much for the offer. I may take you up on it. I can usually find stuff around here, but I have to bounce around between different grocery stores.

Josie, and everyone else. I just baked another round of these using dough I’d chilled overnight. The well-chilled dough spread much less and the cookies are more uniform and slightly thicker (though still crispy and light).

So my tips are

#1. Use well-chilled dough
    #2. Don’t bake on a non-stick cookie sheet, but rather a Silpat or parchment lined sheet (as recipe says). I baked the first batch directly on a non-stick surface and I believed that caused them to spread more. It helps if they have some sort of matting underneath.

Hi, Anna. Although I don’t celebrate the Jewish holidays, a new choc chip cookie recipe is always nice. I should be able to make the carrot cake breakfast cookies this weekend and I’ll let you know how they turn out.

I’m glad I didn’t run into you at the mall all wrinkled and depressed. ,)

9. Chris C-L says

I made krispie treats today and used strawberry marshmellows instead of regular marshmellows…..quite tasty! I’m sure these are seasonal, so I may have to buy a few bags to put in the pantry.

Diann, I am looking forward to hearing what you think of the carrot cookies. Maybe I’ll make one of your recipes this weekend.

Chris, somebody else made those….I can’t remember who or when, but they liked the flavor of the strawberry marshmallows. I don’t think I’d care for them, but Todd would.

NP, you should try them. Just make sure to chill the dough overnight and don’t bake on too slipper a surface. I also found I got neater looking cookies when I used smaller amounts of dough.

11. Anonymous says

does anyone know a recipe for shortbread (icing sugar) chocolate chip cookies for passover…what would one substitute for the cornstarch and flour?

12. Julie says

I made these last year for my husband’s family–I’m not Jewish–and they were the hit of the dessert table. Kids aren’t that crazy about coconut so were psyched to have ccc–and the adults were pretty infatuated, too.

13. Jill says

Great Passover chocolate chip cookie recipe! This is the first time I made a dessert for Passover and these cookies turned out great! I let the dough chill for 24 hours before baking and they did not spread at all! They actually came out soft and chunky! I also just used a non stick pan instead of parchment paper and they turned out perfect (did not stick or spread at all)! I can’t wait to share these with my family!

14. Cindy says

@Anonymous: here’s a recipe for chocolate shortbread cookies from The New Complete Jewish International Cookbook by Evelyn Rose:

3 oz (75g/ 3/4 cup) walnuts
    7 oz (200 g / 1 cup plus 2 tbsp) soft butter or margarine
    1 egg yolk
    6 oz (175 g / 3/4 cup) caster (superfine) sugar
    2 x 3/4 oz packets vanilla sugar
    4 oz (125g / 1 cup) matzah cake meal
    4 oz (125 g / 2/3 cup) potato flour
    1/2 tsp Passover baking powder
    3 tbsp cocoa

For the topping:
    1 egg white, whisked until frothy
    walnuts (see below)
    1 oz (25g / 2 tbp) caster sugar

Preheat the oven to 350F/180C and line 2 baking sheets wiht silicone paper. Chop all the walnuts finely then set 1 oz (25g / 1/4 c) aside for the topping.
    Cut the fat into roughly 1 inch (2.5cm) chunks then beat or process until creamy. Work in the egg yolk and sugars, followed by the matzah meal, potato flour, baking powder, cocoa and walnuts. Turn out onto a board dusted with potato flour and knead to a smooth dough. Pinch off walnut sized pieces of dough and roll into small balls. Arrange 2 inches (5 cm) apart on the trays, then press down firmly with a large wet fork to form biscuits about 3/8 inch (1 cm) thick. Whisk the egg white until frothy, then brush each biscuit in turn with it and sprinkle with the mixed walnuts and sugar.
    Bake for 15-18 minutes or until firm to gentle touch. Leave for 2 or 3 minutes to firm up, then transfer to a cooling rack. Leave for 1 day in an airtight container for the flavors to develop.

This makes really nice shortbread, just as satisfying as regular shortbread to my taste. Not chocolate chip: I think these would be a bit too delicate to add chocolate chips to. But chocolate just the same, and you could probably make them without the chocolate if you wanted plain shortbread cookies. Maybe add an extra tablespoon or so of matzah meal to compensate for the missing cocoa.

15. Lucy says

I made these cookies yesterday and they were a hit! I have tried several other Passover chocolate chip cookie recipes and never thought much of them. I am known as a pretty good baker during the rest of the year so I have been pretty annoyed at my lack of success. The cookies taste good and have a nice, chewy, slightly soft texture. I chilled the dough several hours and used the parchment paper. I used a dark chocolate bar chopped up and some chips to make up the two cups.
    I hate cooking during Passover because my work schedule is tough and I don’t have a lot of time to experiment. We also do not eat meat (except for a little fish) so I start getting a little thin on ideas toward the end of the week. Thanks for the bright spot! I even ate two of them for breakfast…sure beats matzah!

Julie, Jill, Cindy and Lucy. Thank you so much for your thorough reviews. I really appreciate your taking the time do describe your experience with the cookies.

Also, Cindy — thanks for posting the new shortbread recipe and recommending the book.

Speaking of which, I think I accidentally deleted the credit for this recipe. I made a few *very* minor changes, but it’s adapted from a Marcy Goldman recipe.