These Matzo Meal Chocolate Chip Cookies are light, crisp and have an interesting flavor.
They spread quite a bit when I made them, but set up nicely and tasted very good. I especially liked the edges, which is bad because if I have a batch of cookies lying around I will eat the edges off all of them and ruin the cookies for everyone else. Oh well. My batch spread a bit, but I didn’t use real matzo cake meal but rather matzoh that I’d ground up in the food processor. These would probably be even better with actual matzoh cake meal. Either way, they taste delicious and have a very interesting texture.
Update: I finally found some matzo cake meal (as opposed to matzo meal) and have made some new and improved cookies! Here’s what they look like when made with the cake meal. Kind of an improvement, no?
- 1 1/3 cups brown sugar (260 grams)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (110 grams)
- 3/4 cup (6 oz) unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extra**
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup matzo cake meal (or make your own – see note) (140 grams)
- 1 cup potato starch (potato starch flour) (140 grams)
- 2 cups chocolate chips (or approved Kosher type chocolate)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream both sugars with butter. Add vanilla. Blend in the eggs.
- Stir in the salt, cake meal and potato starch. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for 1 hour or overnight for chewy cookies, do not chill if you prefer thin, crisp cookies.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop out generous teaspoonfuls of dough or roll marble sized balls. Place on the baking sheets, leaving plenty of room for the cookies to spread (3 ½ inches).
- Press down a little if using chilled dough.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes- watch carefully- then cool on the baking sheets for 20 to 30 minutes. Use a thin metal spatula to remove the cookies
To make matzoh cake meal, place regular matzoh meal in a food processor and process for a minute or until finely ground.
Original recipe did not include vanilla. It called for ½ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon vanilla sugar.