Banana Split Bars

by on June 30, 2008 · 19 comments

banana split bars

Banana Split Bars

2 cups all purpose flour (9 oz)
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 extra-ripe medium bananas, pureed or mashed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup vegetable oil
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
8 oz can crushed pineapple, drained
¼ cup maraschino cherries, drained, halved, patted dry
½ cup toasted chopped walnuts (optional)

Icing:
4 tablespoons butter, softened
3 oz cream cheese
2 ½ cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 13×9 inch metal pan with non-stick foil or parchment paper.

Mix together flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.

Beat pureed bananas, sugar, eggs, oil, and vanilla together in a large mixing boil. Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in pineapple, cherries and walnuts. Pour batter into pan and spread to edges.

Bake 30-35 minutes. Cool completely, and then frost with icing. Decorate with extra cherries and nuts if desired.

Icing: Combine butter and cream cheese and beat until fluffy. Add sugar, stir well and then beat until light. It’s best to use an electric mixer for this. Beat in vanilla. Add 1-2 tablespoons of milk and beat until light and fluffy. Ice bars.

Published on June 30, 2008

{ 19 comments }

Janet June 30, 2008 at 1:35 pm

OH yum, you are leaving us with “homework to do” by trying these recipes;-) lol Have a great time at Sea World! I look forward to hearing about it when you get back online.

Janice June 30, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Have a great time at Sea World!
Congratulations to Fuzz and her pals for the great cookie sales.
Lizzie and Fuzz pic in the tub is adorable;-)
Thanks for this recipe, I am rushing out to beg my produce guy for ripe bananas.

Cathy - www.wheresmydamnanswer.com June 30, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Yum – this is a perfect treat to make for the 4th of July bbq…

Thanks for this one –

Have a great time at Sea World – I lived in SD for about 5 years and do I miss it!!

Cheers
Cathy

VeggieGirl June 30, 2008 at 2:25 pm

Banana Split bars?? Yes, please!!

Have fun at Sea World tomorrow!!

beth June 30, 2008 at 2:26 pm

These look great. Im always looking for ways to use up the over ripe banana’s that no-one wants to eat in our house. These are going to be a must try!

Carole R. June 30, 2008 at 3:36 pm

Since it is very cool I will be making these tonight, as son as Al gets home with my maraaschino cherries. I have some bananas that have reached to “use or lose stage”.

Have fun at Sea World with the Brownie troop. Post lots of pictures.

Lizzie, by the way, is one cute pup. But she already knows that.

Clumbsy Cookie June 30, 2008 at 4:25 pm

What a great smell to have at home! Have fun tomorrow with Fuzz!

Debbi June 30, 2008 at 6:00 pm

Hi, I have some older banana’s to use this week. What did you like better, the banana split bars or the tropical banana bread? They seem very similar and both look delicious.

Heidi June 30, 2008 at 6:47 pm

We just made the trip from Austin to San Antone last weekend. ugh there is not enough shade at that place! Stay cool and avoid the splash zone! ;)

Anna June 30, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Well, we are all packed. Good luck with the bar cookies!

Debbie, to answer your question, these bars are denser and richer than the tropical banana bars and the frosting makes them even better.

Louise July 1, 2008 at 9:08 am

Hi Anna,

Those banana bars look scrumptious! I don’t mind watching them while you’re having fun at Sea World. (of course they may be all gone by the time you return:) Kudos to those girls of yours. I’m sure they deserve every last splash of FUN!

Patricia Scarpin July 1, 2008 at 11:41 am

I love the name already, Anna. :)
have fun!

Carole R. July 1, 2008 at 1:23 pm

Just finished icing these. Now if I can only leave them alone until dinner.

Very fast and easy recipe.

Katrina July 1, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Darn it, Anna. You’ve done it again–sabotaged my diet, that is! ;) I just happened to have everything to make these–the pineapple was even open in the fridge and needed to be used. I was going to make my usual banana muffins today anyway, so I made these. I made some minor changes, which I will post on my blog, but I did make them in mini muffins pans instead of in a sheet for bars and I really can’t decide if they fall in the muffin category or the cupcake category. I want to call them muffins, so they are “better” for me to eat, but I also iced them and am just not sure that falls into the “healthier” category. At least I made them mini size, I think one will be okay, right! They are de-lish!
Hope you’ve had a great day at sea world with the girls!

giz July 1, 2008 at 10:03 pm

I saw the picture, hit the tag button right away and then started reading. I’ll have this made before the end of the week – wow, wow, wow.

Allison July 15, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Hi Anna!

I just discovered your blog a few weeks ago, and I’ve been drooling over it ever since!

I made these bars this weekend, and they were a big hit with the whole crowd. We’re not walnut-loving folks, and we are major chocoholics, so I figured it would be an acceptable yet still banana-split related swap to put in chocolate chips instead of walnuts, and then melted chocolate chips to drizzle across the top.

Due to the added sweetness of the chocolate, these were VERY rich, so just cut them into bite sized pieces.

Bev August 11, 2009 at 7:18 pm

I had a few over ripe bananas, so I was searching your site last evening looking for a recipe. I decided to give these a try. I didn’t have crushed pineapple, so I substituted part of a can of Dole Tropical fruit. I pureed the fruit first. YUM! These bars are awesome. This recipe is going in my go-to file for sure! :)

Anna August 11, 2009 at 7:24 pm

Glad you liked the bars, Bev!

kitty62 August 29, 2009 at 10:17 am

This recipe was a thumbs up all the way. good way to get rid of those over ripe bananas. the only thing i didnt put in it was the walnut…..but only because i didnt have any. yum-yum-yum!! thank you again for another winner.

Comments on this entry are closed.