Dark Bran Muffins

by on June 8, 2008 · 7 comments

Fuzz has day camp this week. It starts early, so our plan is to wake up, take care of Lizzie, get packed up and have breakfast in the car on the way to the camp. Fuzz isn’t much of a breakfast eater, but she does like a little something sweet, so I decided our on-the-go breakfast would be bran muffins.

This is the recipe I used today. It’s similar to one from The Joy of Cooking, but I added a little vanilla and cinnamon. These were as moist as the last bran muffins I made, but with less fat.

This is a full batch. I baked half a batch and used about 1 ½ tablespoons of egg to make ½ an egg.

Bran Muffins

Dark Bran Muffins

2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup wheat bran
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons melted butter
2 tablespoons brown or granulated sugar (I used brown)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg
1/2 cup mild molasses
2 cups buttermilk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 16 muffin cups with paper liners.

Combine flour, bran, baking soda, salt and cinnamon and stir well.

Whisk melted butter, sugar, vanilla, egg, molasses and buttermilk together in a large mixing bowl. Add dry ingredients and stir until moistened. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups – it should come almost to the top.

Bake 15-18 minutes or until muffins appear done

Makes 16

Published on June 8, 2008

Katrina June 8, 2008 at 8:56 pm

I am a sucker for bran muffins. You wouldn’t know it, you’d think I was a sucker for all things chocolate, well, okay, that too, but love bran muffins! Hmmm.

Claire June 8, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Oooo…these look so good! I love bran muffins. I wonder if adding blueberries to them would be weird.

J June 9, 2008 at 7:05 am

I am so with Claire…. and I have blueberries in the fridge!

Oh, yum!

VeggieGirl June 9, 2008 at 7:07 am

Those muffins will be great for Fuzz to take to day camp – great snack!

I’m with Claire and J – blueberries would be a FABULOUS addition to the muffins! :0)

Katrina June 9, 2008 at 8:11 am

Hey, your recipe says granulated sugar in one place and brown sugar in another. I’m going with brown.

Anna June 9, 2008 at 9:02 am

Thanks Katrina,

Joy of Cooking used granulated, I used brown. I think the brown makes the muffins moister, but the granulated gives them less of a molasses flavor. So either is okay.

Katrina June 9, 2008 at 10:19 am

The muffins are good, although I could have sworn I had wheat bran and I can’t find it anywhere. So I used some All Bran I had bought a few months ago, for the same purpose, making bran muffins and hadn’t done it yet. I used 1/4 cup Egg Beater, whole wheat pastry flour and made my own buttermilk with skim milk and vinegar. Mine look a little different from yours (yours look better and more moist) but they taste great to me! I also added 1 cup raisins. Thanks for the recipe to go by.

I’ve also just finished making Mrs. Baron’s chocolate cookies. Um, yum! These are great and I don’t really care for a chocolatey, chocolate cookie. They ARE rich, especially mine, the only cocoa I had left was Hershey’s Special Dark. With half the dough, I added peanut butter chips and darn it all these are good. I’m not eating any though. Just a taste and that’s it! Back to low fat……we’ll see if I can try the tahini ones today. Let you know.