Peanut Butter Cookies

by on June 29, 2008 · 22 comments

I always have at least two brands of peanut butter in the house. If I’m making a peanut butter bagel, I put one brand on half the bagel and the other brand on the other half. I’ve been doing this for the past 5 years and never thought anything of it until today, when it occurred to me that most people probably use one brand of peanut butter at a time.

But I don’t care if it’s weird. I like having one jar of peanut butter I know I like (Jif or Skippy Natural) and another that’s “experimental”. And by experimental, that just means another brand or type (like the honey added stuff or reduced fat).

Yesterday, I decided to push things to the limit and buy what I thought might be competition for the Jif. Without looking at the price (which I knew to be higher) I put a jar of Peanut Butter & Company’s “Crunch Time” in the basket. I could hardly wait to try the new fancy peanut butter, but I managed to wait until this morning at breakfast.

Results. The Jif was its usual self but this new peanut butter was quite unique. I knew it wasn’t hydrogenated and had no added sugar, but the oily texture was still kind of a surprise to the palate. I stirred and stirred, hoping it would thicken up, but it stayed rather thin. In fact, I could have poured it. The flavor was peanutty alright, but I think the fancy unsweetened peanut butter is going to take some getting used to. Or maybe I just like my peanut butter sweet. Is that a crime? Are there any fancy, gourmet brands of sweetened peanut butter?

In the meantime, I made half a batch of Baking Blonde’s peanut butter cookies using Peanut Butter & Co, which again, is not sweet. The cookies were delicious and definitely sweet enough even with the no-sugar peanut butter.

Here’s the recipe. I left the chips out of this first batch, but I think they really do need the chips.

UPDATE:  I now LOVE anything by Peanut Butter & Company, but especially the White Chocolate Wonderful as recommended here.  Thanks, comment section!

peanut butter cookies

Published on June 29, 2008

Lisa Ernst June 29, 2008 at 12:32 pm

I love natural peanut butter with a thin, almost pourable texture. I didn’t realize Peanut Butter & Company made that kind. I will have to try it. So far, I’ve only had their chocolate peanut butter, which I like. The cookies look great!

Judy June 29, 2008 at 12:36 pm

I’m going to make these also, just because Baking Blonde raved about them so much. But I just can’t imagine anything better than my fave, Lalee’s Peanut Butter Cookies (http://judyskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/03/lalees-peanut-butter-cookies-adapted).

Anonymous June 29, 2008 at 12:36 pm

I’ve been reading the blog for a while now and just decided to post…

I love the Peanut Butter Co. I live in NYC and it’s one of my favorite places, although I’m not a huge fan of their regular peanut butter(loving sweet PB is not a crime!!). They have a lot of specialty flavors like Cinnamon Raisin (which is to DIE for), Dark Chocolate, Honey, and a very tasty Maple PB. Some are sold at stores around the country but you can get them all at Ilovepeanutbutter.com (or the shop in NYC). I would be really curious to try any of the different flavored PBs in a PB cookie… Mmmm

Love the blog!!

Bryan June 29, 2008 at 12:40 pm

I have been reading the blog for a little while now but am finally posting cause I am a huge fan of Peanut Butter & Co…
I live in NYC and go to the sandwich shop at least once a week and can’t get enough of their specialty PB flavors (Cinn. Raisin, Dark Choc, and Maple are my faves.) You can get all the flavors at Ilovepeanutbutter.com. I am going to try this recipe with the Cinn. Raisin flavor! Thanks for posting, I’m an amateur baker and you’ve helped a lot!!

Katrina June 29, 2008 at 1:11 pm

My favorite natural peanut butter is called Naturally More. Here I’ve only found it at Walmart. It is yummy and has some flax oil and seed added in (but not too much)-for extra Omega 3′s. I probably won’t switch from this one, although I do try lots of others and bake with other kinds. Naturally More is my go-to for a sandwich or spread.
There’s just so many recipes to make! Now I want to try your Triple Play PB Cookies and I want to try Judy’s faves. Hmmm.

Rachel B. June 29, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Ooo, try the White Chocolate Peanut Butter from PB & Co. It converted me to spreading peanut butter on things again (I usually just like it in desserts). The sugar content is very similar to standard “unnatural” brands of PB, but it has this lovely little hint of white chocolate flavor. Also, the texture is more “normal” than the runny/natural one you describe. Wouldn’t bother to bake with it, though–the subtle flavor would be lost.

Anna June 29, 2008 at 1:27 pm

Has anyone every tried the “Crunch Time” variety? I think maybe I need to try one of Peanut Butter & Company’s other flavors.

Bryan, that’s a great idea to try the cinnamon raisin flavor in a cookie.

Katrina, I have some Smart Balance with Omega 3′s. I like the Smart Balance Crunchy, but the Smart Balance Creamy has kind of a strange flavor to it.

Lisa, if you happen to see this, I’d like to know your favorite brand.

Judy, I am definitely going to try that recipe from your blog.

Rachel, thanks for the tip. The idea of a white chocolate flavored peanut butter didn’t appeal to me, but your descriptions makes it sound very good. So now that one is on my list too.

Katrina June 29, 2008 at 1:47 pm

I have tried PB & Co. Dark choc/pb and the white chocolate one. Like the choc/pb combo, but not for a spread really, just to bake something with. Didn’t care for the white chocolate one and neither did the kids. To each his own, though, because I know lots who like white chocolate more than I do. Even just white chocolate is not my fave, all pb aside.

HeartofGlass June 29, 2008 at 1:54 pm

The Peanut Butter Co. has never quite ‘done’ it for my cravings–it was good an lacked a certain satisfying heft.

Anna, if you’d like to try the Crazy Richard’s brand, I’d be happy to send you a jar–it’s very, very thick and crunchy, though, and you need to leave the jar upside down for a day or so for the oil to permeate back up through the nuts, more so than with other natural peanut butters.

Odd recipe on the PB&Co site for the white chocolate stuff which I have never tried

White chocolate and cashew butter is very good, though!

Rina June 29, 2008 at 3:26 pm

Anna,

Have you tried Skippy Natural? I think it is a good combo of a spreadable, sweet peanut butter and the runny, natural kind. I have yet to try it in a recipe, but think it would be good for an experimental bagel topping.

Also – I like the natural Trader Joe’s peanut butter and find that it isn’t as runny after mixing and refrigerating (not sure if you’ve tried that).

Btw – did you pick the Crunch Time up from Whole Foods? Thanks!

bakingblonde June 29, 2008 at 3:38 pm

You totally need the chips in the recipe, I LOVE the flavor boost that the combination of chocolate and PB chips add to the cookie, so yummy!

Lisa Ernst June 29, 2008 at 4:10 pm

Anna, believe it or not, my favorite brand is Kroger natural creamy. It is extremely creamy, unlike some natural brands that are a little gritty and hard to stir. I barely have to stir this peanut butter before the oil is mixed in. I think the peanut butter flavor is especially pronounced in this brand, for some reason. Being a vegetarian, peanut butter is a major protein source for me and I probably go through a jar of it a week! I’m planning on trying a jar of the PB& Co. plain.

Kristen June 29, 2008 at 4:46 pm

I used the Skippy Natural Super Crunch in your Texas-sized bake sale peanut butter cookies and they were a huge hit. The gi-normous cookies (about the size of a zip-top sandwich bag) were for my daughter’s swim meet and they sold very quickly. I only needed 12 so I made a double batch, and with the rest of the dough I made smaller cookies for us at home. They didn’t look as crackly and attractive when smaller- but they tasted just fine:)

Joe June 29, 2008 at 5:26 pm

I like Skippy Natural too.

Have you tried any of the PBs from P.B. Loco?

Heidi June 29, 2008 at 5:36 pm

I was very addicted to the Peter Pan reduced fat crunchy, which was hard to find compared to the creamy. So when I found it I would buy 3-4 of them. Then the whole peanut butter scare hit and it was pulled from the shelves. Enter Costco and their Kirkland organic creamy peanut butter. I pour off all the oil on top then put it in the fridge and that way I find that it more closely matches the consistency of my PP. It took me a while to get used to the lower sugar, but I feel better feeding the organic to the kiddo.

My all time favorite however, is to go to CM and grind my own right there. It’s SOOOO good. It stays thick and has lovely chunks.

Claire June 29, 2008 at 5:39 pm

I like the peanut butter co white chocolate version. My store doesn’t even sell the regular kind…only white chocolate, cinnamon raisin, and dark chocolate. If you like REALLY sweet PB, just get the reduced fat version! they replace the fat with sugar…but I’m sure you know that!

Joanna June 29, 2008 at 5:49 pm

Katrina, Naturally More is my favorite peanut butter, too! It is very easy to pour, and the flax seeds give it a grainy texture. I’ve never cooked with it because it’s not very sweet, but I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to try. We are DEFINITELY a JIF family when it comes to cooking with pb.

Carrie June 29, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Hi Anna,

I love PB&Co’s dark choc pb. It’s great on graham crackers. I also used it when I made the Pilsbury bake-off winner cookie. Instead of a regular pb filling, it was dark choc pb. Delicious!

Thanks for the recipe. Can’t wait to try it!

Elizabeth June 30, 2008 at 8:24 am

You know, I grew up eating natural peanut butter (Smucker’s or Laura Scudder) and I just tried PB&Co’s Crunch time for the first time and didn’t like it one bit. It tasted too much like just peanuts, if that makes sense. It didn’t taste like peanut butter. I eat both Jif and the natural kind now, depending on what I’m in the mood for, but I don’t think PB&Co is going in the rotation.

Laura C July 1, 2008 at 9:22 pm

I love PB&Co’s peanut butter. If you’re ever in Manhattan, they have a restaurant which serves all manner of peanut butter sandwiches and desserts. I usually keep mine in the fridge, it keeps it more solid.
I noticed you’re a Whatever fan! Me too!!
Love your blog!!

Anna July 2, 2008 at 6:16 am

Laura, I put the PB&Co in the refrigerator and it is much more suitable for spreading.

I think my issue with it is the type I bought (Crunch Time) is just TOO peanutty. I’m going to try the white chocolate peanut butter or one of the other flavors.

Also, I just took a look at your cookies and my jaw dropped. I wish I could decorate like that. Wow!

Laura C July 2, 2008 at 9:07 pm

Anna, Thanks for the compliment! It’s taken me 5 years practice to get this good. I think I can always do better though.
I have the white chocolate flavor, actually, I got the 6 pack and the cookbook for my husband. The spicy one is awesome on chicken or soba noodles. The cinnamon raisin is surprisingly good. I had it in a sandwich in NY, whole wheat, sliced pears, sweetened cream cheese and the cinnamon raisin pb. Really, really yummy! I saw the pb&j cupcakes on Alexis’s side of the whatever blog, maybe a couple of weeks ago. Looking for a reason to make them.