We had guests yesterday, so I had an excuse to make not one but two new recipes. The first was the lemon blueberry bars, which I gave away pretty quickly and which were very well received and the second, a lemon meringue pie.
I don’t make a lot of lemon meringue pies. Not because I don’t like them but because….well, I don’t know. I love meringue. What convinced me to actually make a pie was this unique recipe from Paula Deen. It’s a lemon meringue pie with a creamy, opaque filling. Paula’s original recipe is here I followed her directions, but with some changes.
1) Included a graham cracker crust recipe and 2) used a no-weep meringue recipe and 3) used more lemon than Paula.
My version is below. Paula’s version is here.
- 1 1/2 cups graham crackers (20 squares)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk (whole)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup lemon juice (read directions before adding)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup water
- 3 large egg whites, room temp
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Pinch baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Crust: Combine graham cracker crumbs and sugar. Stir in melted butter. Press into a 9 or 10 inch round pie plate. Set on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 8 to 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- Lemon Filling: Whisk egg yolks in a bowl set next to stove.
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in a small saucepan. Whisk in half cup of the milk. Add remaining milk and turn heat to medium. Cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick. Carefully spoon or pour a little of the milk mixture into the bowl of egg yolks, stirring well – this tempers the yolks. Add yolk mixture back to saucepan and bring to a low boil. Cook, whisking constantly, for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and add butter. Stir until butter melts, then add 1/4 cup lemon juice. Test to see if it’s lemony enough for you and if not, add remaining lemon juice and zest until you are satisfied with the lemon level. Let cool completely in the saucepan.
- Stir sour cream into cooled lemon mixture and pour/spread in pie crust. Prepare meringue.
- Meringue: In a small cup, dissolve cornstarch in 2 tablespoon of the water. Bring remaining 1/2 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add cornstarch mixture to boiling water and cook, whisking stirring constantly, until clear and thickened. Let stand until completely cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat eggs until foamy. Gradually (1 tablespoon at a time) beat in sugar. Reduce mixer to low and add baking soda and vanilla. Raise mixer speed back to high and beat in cornstarch/syrup mixture, beating until thick and fairly stiff. Spread over a cooled filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool on a wire rack and chill pie for at least 2 hours or until ready to serve.