Vegan Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

Better late than never, right?  Here’s today’s cookie!

I was really interested in seeing if the vegan recipe form yesterday could undergo yet more adjustments. It did.

In this thrilling new cookie, I used vegetable oil in place of shortening, cut out 1 tablespoon of flour and plopped in a quarter cup of Smart Balance (a less sweet) peanut butter. The dough held together beautifully and the cookies bake up big, soft and rich. They don’t have crispy edges like the other ones, but the heavy peanut butter flavor makes up for that. Plus, they’re totally vegan! Next thing you know, someone will go substituting rice flour for the all purpose flour and make them gluten free. Hmmmmmmm.

Vegan Peanut Buttter Oat Cookies

Vegan Oatmeal-Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour – spoon and sweep, don’t pack
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons applesauce
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup natural type peanut butter (Jif would be fine too)
1/4 cup peanuts (salted is fine)
1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips or 1/3 cup chopped up good quality chocolate

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Grind oats in processor. Add flour, baking soda and salt and pulse to mix.

Stir oil and both sugars together in a medium bowl. It’s okay to do this with a spoon – no need to pull out the electric mixer. Beat in applesauce, peanut butter and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until blended. Stir in peanuts and chocolate chips.

Using about 2 tablespoons of dough, form dough into balls and place on ungreased baking sheet. Flatten slightly. Bake until edges are golden brown, about 12-14 minutes, Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; cool completely. Cookies will firm up as they cool.

Makes about 6 cookies

Comments

1. Sue says

I’ve thought about trying some of your recipes with a gluten free flour mix. So far I’ve only tried making gluten free bread. The flavor was fine, but I didn’t care for the texture. I’m a little leary of of more gluten free experiments, but someone else tries it I hope they post their thoughts!

It’s so nice of you to try to perfect vegan recipes even though you’re not vegan yourself! The cookies look great and I’m sure they’re delicious for both vegans and non-vegans alike!

3. Karen says

I wonder how they would be with almond butter? I’ll have to try it that way for my vegan friend.

Catherine, thanks so much for the compliment :).

The individual pie slices are too cute! What I’d like is a semi-circle shaped pie plate. That is, half a pie. It would be easy to cut ingredients in half and make half a pie. I guess you would also buy 3 of the individual pieces and make half a pie that way. I like how the slices are pre-formed.

Karen, if the almond butter works, let me know. I just finished making a wheat free version. They turned out great.

5. Melissa says

I made these tonight and they were quite tasty. I didn’t have any peanuts, but I used 1/2 cup chunky peanut butter and it seemed to work well enough.

I see that you mentioned vanilla in the instructions but not the list of ingredients. How much would you recommend? I just put in 1/4 tsp. since it seemed to be a small batch, and it tasted okay, but I was wondering what you used.

Anywho, thanks for the recipe!

Hi Melissa!

Thanks so much for trying the recipe. About the vanilla, thanks! I accidentally deleted it when I was typing, but I used 1/4 teaspoon, but I think these would be good with anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2.

i know it’s most likely a bit too late to comment for this recipe but we just made it with some kids from the neighborhood and it was a hit! it gave us a great opportunity to talk about animal products, what being vegan means and the idea of ethical animal treatment. in addition, we all had a blast making cookies together! your site always gives us great ideas on how to be creative in our baking and continually helps us also teach the kids measurements and the goodness of baking from scratch. wow – your site is so good to us. thanks!

8. Chris says

Hello~ I just found your recipe online and tried it last night. It’s great! I added raisins and actually just sort of tossed everything into a bowl and mixed it up well (kneading it by hand). It came out kind of like granola bars, but soft in the middle. Think I might try it with more peanut butter next time. Since I’m pregnant there’s a lot of goodies (nuts, oats, raisins, peanut butter, oh and chocolate!) I’ll definitely make this again!

Thanks for posting this. Great website :)

9. Lori Delgado says

These cookies are the BEST!!! I am not vegan but LOVE them. I love Trader Joe’s Vegan Choc Chip Walnut cookies and Vegan Oatmeal Choc chip cookies so I was searching for a similar recipe to make. These are even better. I love your site and it is known as the Cookie Bible and GO TO site for me!!! Thanks for all your yummy recipes!!

10. Rachael says

The gluten free version I used was with brown rice flour. Amazing. Everybody loved them and they were great Christmas presents. Awesome recipe! Don’t be afraid to substitute the flour, it seemed like it wasn’t a biggie in the recipe since the oats are a main part. Although, if you’re a celiac you would want to try and find certified gluten free oats.

11. Maria says

I just made the cookies – and think this is one of the best one’s out there – simple, tasty and vegan! I doubled the amounts since the original recipe yields a very small batch of cookies. Thanks!!