2008 Thanksgiving Pecan Pie

This is one of my favorite pecan pie recipes. The pecans are toasted, the butter is slightly browned, the pie uses both types of corn syrup and it’s not overly sweet. I think the small bit of cream tames the sugar somewhat, but I’m not sure.

Pecan Pie

For this test pie, I made a basic shortening crust. For the real thing, I recommend using your favorite homemade crust recipe, a Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts, or one of the ready-to-bake crusts Epicurious recommended.

I’ll be putting Vodka in my pie dough this year.

Thanksgiving 2008 Pecan Pie

1 9 inch deep dish unbaked pie shell
1 2/3 cups pecan halves
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 large eggs
1 cup corn syrup, half light and half dark
3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons whipping cream
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Remove a large handful of whole pecans and set aside. These will be the decorative ones.

Chop the rest of the pecans and place them in a large dry skillet. Turn heat to medium-high and cook pecans, stirring often, for two minutes. Place pecans in a large skillet and turn heat to medium high. Cook pecans for 2 minutes, stirring often. Reduce heat slightly, add butter to skillet with pecans, and “stir-fry” butter and pecans until butter melts and browns – take care not to burn. This should only take about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.

In medium bowl, stir together eggs, corn syrup, brown sugar, cream, vanilla and salt. Stir in melted butter/pecan mixture then pour filling into unbaked crust. Line the perimeter with the whole pecans.

Bake for 45-50 minutes or until top is golden brown and appears set. The pie should still be slightly jiggly in very center. Let cool completely at room temperature. Transfer to refrigerator to store, but serve at room temp.

This pie also freezes quite well.

Comments

1. Therese B. says

Vodka in a pie crust. Now your talking my language! Wow…I wonder how it tastes?

This concept has me intruigued….I still haven’t found the Triple espresso vodka. I wonder if that would work in that pie crust. Oh GEE WILLIKERS….I wonder if I could find a dreamy chocolate silk pie filling…oh boy.

I have got to find that vodka! This girl in a a mission. Thanks Anna for a great recipe!

2. Irene says

Hi, Anna!

I love pecan pies but always am afraid to make my own! I thought I might give it a try. I only have light corn syrup on hand. Can I get away with just one?

Irene

3. Karen says

Anna, I think you will love the vodka crust, it is so easy to roll out, yet still bakes up flakey. It also doesn’t leak out butter when it bakes, like some crusts I have made. This year I’m trying maple syrup in my pecan pie, keeping my fingers crossed.

4. CPB says

The vodka crust is very intriguing. However, I have to admit that I’m a big fan of the refrigerated pie crusts. They are so good and SO easy! My family’s favorite pecan pie is from the San Antonio Junior League cookbook called Flavors. It calls for both corn syrup and pancake syrup. I modified it a bit by replacing 1/8 c. of the syrup with bourbon. It’s not overwhelming but gives it a delicious flavor. Let me know if you are interested in the recipe.

Another of my Thanksgiving pie ‘secrets’ (not much of a secret since I tell everyone about it!) is to substitute egg nog for the evaporated milk in pumpkin pie. I just follow the recipe on the back of the Libby’s pumpkin can but replace the evaporated milk with egg nog. The result is a supremely rich pie. My family adores it. I can’t take credit for this adjustment. My mother in law was out of the evaporated milk and decided to see what would happen with the egg nog. I’ll never make pumpkin pie the other way again.

I made (and ate) my Thanksgiving pies earlier this month since we’re not having a traditional Tday meal this year. We’re in the middle of a major remodeling project, so we’re going to San Antonio, spending the night on the Riverwalk and eating Mexican at Mi Tierra’s in the Market Square!

5. Therese B. says

6. Katy says

I use Dorie Greenspan’s pie crust from Home Baking and substitute vodka for the water. Easy and excellent. My go-to crust.