Slow Cooker Stuffing Basic Recipe

by on November 21, 2008 · 13 comments

Slow Cooker Stuffing

1 1/2 cup onions
1 cup celery
1-2 sticks butter, I used salted (divided use)
8 inch square pan of cornbread, crumbled (10 oz)**
10 ounces chewy baguette type bread or ciabatta, cut into cubes
1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup chicken broth to start, then add as needed (33% reduced sodium)
plenty of fresh ground pepper
1 teaspoon chopped fresh sage or to taste
1/3 cup toasted pecans, chopped

Melt 1 stick of the butter in a large skillet. Saute onions and celery for about 4 minutes or until soft. Turn off the heat.

In large bowl, mix bread and crumbled corn bread. Toss with poultry seasoning. Pour onion/celery mixture into bread mixture and stir until moist. Add eggs and stir well. Pour in 1 ½ cups broth.

Empty mixture into slow cooker and cook for four hours, stopping to stir once or twice. After 4 hours, you should have a good base stuffing, but it will need some more flavorings. At this point, add fresh pepper to taste (about ¼ to ½ teaspoon), sage and toss with pecans. You can also add the remaining stick of butter, but if you like your stuffing on the lighter side, you can leave out the second stick of butter and moisten with broth only. If you are feeding a group of people who like traditional rich stuffing, it’s probably best to use all of the butter.

Total cook time should be 4 hours on low give or take a few minutes.

Serves 6 to 8

Published on November 21, 2008

Joanna November 21, 2008 at 4:47 pm

i can’t wait for thanksgiving, anna. i am going nuts looking at all these pictures of food. that stuffing looks soo good. i bet the pecans give it a nice crunch. i’d definitely say stuffing is in my top 2 favorite thanksgiving foods. #1 would have to be sweet potato casserole :)

bakingblonde November 21, 2008 at 5:08 pm

I am soooo making this soon! I LOVE stuffing, it would be my meal most wintery nights if I could get away with that many carbs every night!

Anj November 21, 2008 at 5:43 pm

As much as I love Luby’s, I am glad you are pulling the real deal off. Your recipes look so traditional and very yummy. I just might have to break tradition and try this stuffing in the crock pot, sounds great. That is my go-to pumpkin pie recipe – the best and so easy. It will be a grand meal for sure, very worthy of being thankful for I am sure.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) November 22, 2008 at 6:40 am

Aaahhhh, I’ve been waiting to find a recipe like this! For me, the stuffing is the best part of the meal, and I love the thought of having it cooking for hours while I’m busy doing other things. One question: you cooked on low for a total of how many hours?

Heidi November 22, 2008 at 7:12 am

we ALWAYS do cornbread stuffing, but I’m lucky that my mom makes a big tub of it and then just brings that over and I don’t have to mess with it.

I’m heading to your hood this weekend Anna, I’ll wave! ;)

Sara November 22, 2008 at 9:23 am

This looks delicious, I love slow cooker recipes!

Kaitlin November 22, 2008 at 6:45 pm

Yum this looks GOOD!

Jennifer November 24, 2008 at 10:56 am

Wow, what a great idea. I was already debating doing something in the crock pot for Thanksgiving as it seems I run out of room in the oven. I was thinking sweet potatoes in the crock pot would work, but the stuffing ideas is great, too.

Aaron November 24, 2008 at 3:16 pm

I was wondering what temperature you cooked the stuffing on and what type of slow cooker you used.

Anna November 24, 2008 at 3:25 pm

Hi Aaron,
I cook it on low. Just added that!
My slow cooker is a Rival Crock*Pot.

Deb Schiff November 24, 2008 at 3:46 pm

What a great idea! It looks so good!

Emily Barrett December 2, 2008 at 12:37 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for this recipe. I made it “full fat” for Thanksgiving and it was a hit! Wonderful way to orchestrate meal timing with one oven. Dinner was served just as the in-laws walked in the door! –EB

Christine Steendahl-"The Menu Mom" November 4, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Wow, this sounds so simple and tasty! It will free up space in the oven as well. Can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing.