Cappuccino-Toffee Cookies

by on December 12, 2008 · 14 comments

Today’s cookie is based on a recipe from Reynold’s parchment paper; and trust me, if you make these you will want to line your cookie sheet. The cookies are delicious and pretty, but the topping of chopped chocolate, toffee chips and sliced almonds tends to slide.

Below is a half batch version with a couple of modifications. I used unsalted butter, adjusted the salt and used cinnamon chips instead of chocolate chunks. I also gave the cookies a new name to distinguish them from the original Coffee-Toffee Cookies.

Cappuccino Toffee Cookies

Cappuccino-Toffee Cookies

1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 scant teaspoon salt
4 oz unsalted butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoons instant coffee
1 tablespoon milk
1 egg
1 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ of an (8 oz.) package toffee bits, divided (about 1 cup total)
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chunks OR cinnamon chips
1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.

Beat butter and both sugars together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Dissolve instant coffee in milk. Beat in coffee mixture, eggs and vanilla.

Add flour mixture to creamed mixture and stir until mixed. Reserve about 6 tablespoons toffee bits; stir remaining toffee bits into dough. Drop by heaping tablespoons about 2-inches apart onto parchment-lined cookie sheets. Combine chocolate chunks, almonds and reserved toffee bits; set aside.

Bake 4 minutes. Remove from oven; press cookie flat with the back of a spoon. Sprinkle 1/2 heaping tablespoon almond-toffee mixture onto each cookie. Using the back of the measuring spoon again, lightly press topping into dough to form a larger round cookie.

Continue baking for another 8 to 9 minutes or until cookies are set. Do not over bake. Slide parchment with cookies onto a wire rack to cool.

Makes 15

Published on December 12, 2008

Sue December 12, 2008 at 4:43 pm

I still haven’t tried the cinnamon chips! I need to get on that. LOL!!

Lynn December 12, 2008 at 5:42 pm

I have just embarrassed myself by drooling on my computer screen. LOL :drool:

Lisa December 12, 2008 at 9:46 pm

I love all the extras in here.

snookydoodle December 13, 2008 at 1:05 am

wow what an explosion of yumminess :)

Pearl December 13, 2008 at 1:16 am

wow! i’ve never ever seen cinnamon chips – where can one acquire them?

T. Martin December 13, 2008 at 4:21 am

Anna,

Where do you get your toffee bits? I used to be able to get them on supermarket shelves easily in MD but not so lucky here in NYC.

Anna December 13, 2008 at 8:05 am

Pearl, Amazon sells them.

T, they’re at just about every grocery store here. If you can’t find them in NYC, just use crushed up Heath or Skor bars.

Olivia December 13, 2008 at 8:27 am

Anna,

I’ve been following your blog for months now and absolutely adore reading all of your yummy recipes! I’m actually only fourteen years old, but I’m starting up my own baking blog this monday. Will try to send you the link, once I get everything worked out.

Btw, these cookies look fabulous!

RecipeGirl December 13, 2008 at 8:36 am

These look terrific. I love toffee and almond & chocolate together. Usually I put them in some sort of candy toffee but the cookies look delicious! AND I have cinnamon chips too!

Randi December 13, 2008 at 10:03 am

I bet I could use the cappacino chips in here too.

TG December 13, 2008 at 12:54 pm

randi, that’s a clever idea, the cappuccino chips; i have a bag of those and have been just sortof staring at them

this recipe is so great, anna – i don’t particularly have the urge to make it but i absolutely love reading about it, and so admire your creativity. you are the bomb

Anna December 13, 2008 at 12:59 pm

I’m glad you all like the twist on Reynold’s idea. LOL. I wish I’d invented that cookie.

I’m about to post one I did invent.

Dani December 15, 2008 at 11:10 am

looks like a work of art :)

Michelle December 16, 2008 at 4:30 pm

I made the Reynolds’ version of these cookies and they are delicious!! A few things I will do differently next time. 1/2 tablespoon is too much topping-most of it ended up on the cookie sheet. Also, I found it easier to have the toffee and almonds together and to put the chocolate chunk pieces on afterwards-they’re much larger than the toffee and almond pieces. That being said, these are wonderful cookies and I plan to make them year round! Love this blog!