Crumb Topped Apple Cranberry Pie

by on December 30, 2008 · 13 comments

Good Morning,

Thanks again for all the cookbook suggestions! If you missed it, they are in the comment section of yesterday’s post. I’m still mulling things over trying to decide what to pick.

But for now, here’s a pie. I made this late yesterday with things I had around the house, one of which was a bag of cranberries leftover from Thanksgiving. I wasn’t sure I’d like them invading my pie, but they turned out to be a lovely addition to the pie, adding a little tartness and a whole lot of pink. Luckily, it was a nice shade of pink.

This was a great pie. I adapted the filling from a recipe that had a cooked cornstarch filling. Normally, I made apple pies by just tossing the apples with the sugar, starch and spices, but this cooked filling had a wonderful smooth and thick texture. I’m not sure if it was because the cornstarch mixture was cooked, but I’d definitely do things again the same way.

Apple Cranberry Pie

Crumb Topped Apple Cranberry Pie

1/2 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup oats, quick cooking or old fashion (not instant)
1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
2/3 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/4 cups water
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 tablespoon fresh lemon juice.
3 cups apples, peeled and cut into chunks (tart apples like Granny Smith) (about 2 pounds whole)
3/4 cup cranberries, coarsely chopped in half and some whole

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix together flour, salt, oats, brown sugar and cinnamon. Pour in butter and stir until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.

Combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan. Stir well, then turn heat to medium and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute, stirring often, until thickened.

Have apples and cranberries ready in a bowl.

Remove from heat. Pour sugar mixture over apples and cranberries and stir well to coat. Stir in vanilla extract and lemon juice. Pour apple mixture into prepared pie crust and sprinkle crumbly mixture over top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until top is brown.

Published on December 30, 2008

VeggieGirl December 30, 2008 at 9:41 am

Great use of the cranberries!

Gayle215 December 30, 2008 at 10:39 am

I know this is a late suggestion about a cookbook, but I received The Best Casserole Cookbook Ever by Beatrice Ojakangas! A quick perusal had me marking about 10 recipes to try immediately. No casserole cookies though…I am making this pie recipe tonight! It looks fantastic.

Katrina December 30, 2008 at 10:42 am

Just made an apple crisp yesterday and cranberries would have been a great addition. The pie looks great! Apple pie is up there with my favorites!

dawn December 30, 2008 at 11:04 am

I hate to repeat what veggie girl said, but really good use of cranberries. I have a bunch of cranberries just sitting in the pantry. And I love anything crumb.

Sue December 30, 2008 at 12:17 pm

I love the idea of cranberries in apple pie! I’m glad to hear that it got a thumbs up from you. I wonder if my apple pie loving husband and daughter would go for cranberries in the apple pie!?

Rina December 30, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Speaking of interesting combinations, I made this Banana-Apple Bread yesterday because I needed to use up some apples and bananas that were left over from a fruit basket. The bread was very moist and the addition of the caramelized apples really did take the banana bread to a whole new level. I was skeptical at first, but ended up loving it.

Here is the recipe: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/moms-banana-apple-bread (I used 3 bananas and 2 fuji apples).

Anna December 30, 2008 at 12:51 pm

Gayle, thanks for the suggestion. You are the third person who has recommended that book. I think I’ll order it. Maybe I can teach Todd to like casseroles? He doesn’t usually eat them, but maybe we can fix that.

Rina, Food & Wine’s recipes are always good. Unfortunately, nobody here loves banana bread so I only make it for friends or teacher functions. The next one on my list is Mark Bittman’s. He adds a 1/2 cup of coconut.

Everyone else ;),
About the pie, it really is good. It tastes even better the second day.

Mandy December 30, 2008 at 2:33 pm

Anna, thanks for the comments you left on my blog! I have been following your blog for a long time and have tried out so many of your cookies recipes! :)

Happy New Year to you and your loved ones.

clumbsycookie December 30, 2008 at 4:56 pm

I just love crumbles! I make a similar pie/crumble but with cooked apple as filling. But I’m sure the cranberries were awesome here, and how doen’t like pinkish food? ;)

Oatmeal Cookie Guy December 31, 2008 at 8:37 am

Mmmm… Apple and cranberry is a great combo. Happy New Year!

bakingblonde January 1, 2009 at 7:14 am

That pie looks great, I adore the combination of apple and cranberry. I am still not sure why I don’t make pies more often. I haven’t made one in years.

pvalentine November 3, 2009 at 11:26 am

I was actually looking for a cranberry pie recipe cause I had a bag frozen. I did have one apple — so I reversed the apple and cranberry proportions (3 c cranberries to one chopped apple) — and upped the sugar to 1 cup to compensate for the extra tartness. I like a tart pie anyway because I always go ala mode. Took this to a party and got rave reviews! It was eaten up before my lemon and my cherry pies (which are kind of my speciality). Try it; you’ll like it!

mindy November 29, 2009 at 2:15 pm

I made this gluten free, and added walnuts to the crumb top, so yummy. Thanks for the great recipe!